Best metal pickups for a mahogany body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best metal pickups for a mahogany body

Hi there, I am looking to upgrade my stock pickups in my Ibanez S570B to something a bit more chunk and response. My guitar has a Mahogany body and 3 piece Maple neck, but due to the body being thinner than other mahogany based guitars i need a bridge and neck pickup that can compete with a live band.

The style I play is Metalcore and my sound influences range around Trivium to Killswitch Engage. I'm running this guitar into a Peavey 6505+ with Mesa 4x12 cab if it helps.

Hope you's can help me out here.

Thanks!

P.s. To add I drop tune my instrument to Drop C#

Re: Best metal pickups for a mahogany body

SH6 for both bridge and neck.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Yup, SH6 set.

You could also go with a '59, Jazz or full shred neck model instead of the SH6N.

Comment

Full Shred set

Comment

Double post

Comment

Depends on the type of metal and the specific guitar (body design and thickness, and mahogany varies more than you think), but I'd recommend either Full Shreds (Opeth) or P-90s (Sabbath). You cannot go wrong with either.
            "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

Originally posted by jafo View Post
              Depends on the type of metal and the specific guitar (body design and thickness, and mahogany varies more than you think), but I'd recommend either Full Shreds (Opeth) or P-90s (Sabbath). You cannot go wrong with either.
              P90s probably won't be what he is looking for. He's playing metalcore, not Sabbath. (as awesome as Sabbath is)
              My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
              Originally posted by CTN
              I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
              FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
                P90s probably won't be what he is looking for. He's playing metalcore, not Sabbath. (as awesome as Sabbath is)
                I have the P-Rails Hot in my guitar and it's perfect for thrash as well as modern metal. Honestly, that pickup set made me love the guitar and ended the pickup swapping in that guitar. It's my holy grail of pickups. The tone of P-90s and a unique thick, crisp humbucker tone with P-90 traits all in one pickup... yes please!

That said, the Ibanez S series are thin body guitars, correct? I'd go with something that would beef it up, like the Distortion or Invader. Dimarzio X2N might be another good choice.

Comment

Blackouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                    SH6 for both bridge and neck.
                    Originally posted by CTN View Post
                    Yup, SH6 set.

You could also go with a '59, Jazz or full shred neck model instead of the SH6N.
                    Another vote for Distortion neck and bridge.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
                      Do not underestimate the power of a Duncan SP3-90 thorough a Mesa Dual Rectifer...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Man, I have a mahogany body Ibanez and I have a Duncan El Diablo in it. METAL!!!

Comment

you have so many options for that sound

those guys play EMG's and Corey from Trivium plays Blackouts

distortion bridge and screamin demon (a bridge pu) in the neck would be awesome
                          -IM

Comment

on another note, you should also think about getting a Maxon 808 if you dont have one!
                            -IM

Comment

For an S series - Blackouts if active, invaders if passive

Comment

Working...
                              X