banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which SD pickup is closest to those used on PRS Santana Signature Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which SD pickup is closest to those used on PRS Santana Signature Guitar?

PRS doesn't sell the Santana pickups separately. Haven't found anyone who does. Which SD pickup sounds closest to those Santana uses on his signature models? Seems to me he may use the same pickup on all models......but interested in his signature model if there is a difference in sound. Really like his humbuckers and would like to hear the SD equivalent if available.

Thanks!

Re: Which SD pickup is closest to those used on PRS Santana Signature Guitar?

I thought he used a Distortion at one time. He asked Seymour for some pups in a letter. Their was a thread here about it awhile back with pics of the letter.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

His tone has a lot to do with his amps, IMO.
      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
        His tone has a lot to do with his amps, IMO.
        I've looked at the gear listings for the last 20 years and aside from his "home amp" which I think is a Fender there are so many choices hard to pinpoint where the actual "Santana sound" comes from......of course mostly from Santa himself (easy answer). Second to him...is it his guitar wood , pickups, amps, mics and mains?

I'm playing my Santana out of a fender super sonic twin and some great sound although I would not say I've found the actual vintage Santana sound yet.....a work in progress! Would also like to use pickups closest to his in one of the Warmoth strat humbucker models I've ordered/designed.
        Thanks......

Comment

59 for the neck.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Here you go
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I have nailed Santana's tone using a Pearly Gates pickup.
              Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
              Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

He's gotta be using something vintage style now.
                Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
                  I have nailed Santana's tone using a Pearly Gates pickup.
                  What amp are you using and what effects if any?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                    I thought he used a Distortion at one time. He asked Seymour for some pups in a letter. Their was a thread here about it awhile back with pics of the letter.
                    He did but I think that was pre PRS when he was using the Ibanez but I am nut sure. The Santana pickups are pretty close to the Dragon II in design I think from hearing them. IMO the Custom Custom would be the closest from the Duncan line.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                      He did but I think that was pre PRS when he was using the Ibanez but I am nut sure. The Santana pickups are pretty close to the Dragon II in design I think from hearing them. IMO the Custom Custom would be the closest from the Duncan line.
                      I am pretty certain it was in the PRS . Here is a link to the Thread and the interview.

sigpic
                      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                      JFG Flying V,
                      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
                        I am pretty certain it was in the PRS . Here is a link to the Thread and the interview.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...hlight=Santana
                        Certainly possible. PRS didn't wind their own in the early days.

Comment

The closest would be an APH1 set in a LP for basic ground tone.

The rest is either a Boogie or a Dumble with LOTS of gain.

HTH,

Comment

In the neck position I've gotten closest with a PGN and a 59 with Alnico II. I've never analyzed PRS' actual Santana pickups though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                              You're joking, right? Of all the guitarists who I would expect to use a Duncan Distortion, Santana wouldn't even be on the list...
                              "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Comment

Working...
                              X