Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Jazz very quiet in parallel

Hi guys,
    I'm wiring a usual JB/Jazz job up with both going to push pull pots for series/parallel. Each volume knob is independent. It's a Jackson KV3 with 3 way toggle.

The JB works fine. When I try the Jazz, the neck pickup sounds fine in series, but when I switch to parallel it goes so quiet that I almost have to turn my interface's volume to max just to hear it. You would think it were a killswitch if you didn't know better.

I tried Duncan's diagram for series/parallel, but it didn't work for me. I think the lugs were upside down on their diagram. I used this diagram.

I wasn't sure if it was because the Jazz is lower output that going to parallel makes it that quiet, or if something's wrong. I've resoldered all connections twice. I'd think if the connections were bad, the pickup wouldn't work in series?

Also, I've soldered all grounds to the switch part of the casing instead of the pot. I saw Carruthers Guitars out in Venice, CA do this and seems to work. Other than that I have all grounds going to the switch ground and then one wire going from there to the ground screw inside the Jackson.

Thanks as always.

Re: Neck Jazz very quiet in parallel

The two diagrams are the same, just one is upside down in relation to the other. I think you've just run into the same problem both ways. DPDT switches and push pulls are tricky due to the cramped spaces involved. Its almost worth soldering out of the guitar, especially with ser/par. Make sure you don't have wires touching each other inadvertantly.

If you've got a camera, take some GOOD quality in focus shots of the push pull.

edit - ground the switch rear to the pot rear too

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      The two diagrams are the same, just one is upside down in relation to the other. I think you've just run into the same problem both ways. DPDT switches and push pulls are tricky due to the cramped spaces involved. Its almost worth soldering out of the guitar, especially with ser/par. Make sure you don't have wires touching each other inadvertantly.

If you've got a camera, take some GOOD quality in focus shots of the push pull.

edit - ground the switch rear to the pot rear too
      Thanks Alex.

Using SD's diagram, I didn't even get output in series.

My soldering is...functional, but not pretty. I doubt you guys could tell much from the pics. I tend to burn the insulation off the wires too, so you'd probably think some of the wires are black when they're really green, etc.

The thing is, I'm not sure the wires are touching. After soldering and unsoldering them once, the little eyelets on the terminals of the switch are filled with solder, and sometimes I have to solder the wire parallel to the terminal. It's not the most stable thing, but it works as long as the pots don't move much.

I thought as long as all the wires were soldered to the terminals, it didn't matter if they touched (as long as it wasn't the hot wire)? This is because those spaces are so small that even if they were separate, the wires would crosstalk through the solder joint.

And check, ground wire going from ground lug to switch.

Comment

Alternately, I guess I could wire it to split to make sure something isn't wrong with the switch.

Comment

Its very surprising that the SD one didn't work...as I said the wiring was exactly the same but you would have got series in the opposite switch position

Messy soldering could be hiding any sort of cold joints, bad connections or crossed wires.

Do you have a decent iron?? Something that is 25-35W and can transfer heat quickly is essential to ensuring that the pots survive and the solder joints are electrically solid.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            Its very surprising that the SD one didn't work...as I said the wiring was exactly the same but you would have got series in the opposite switch position

Messy soldering could be hiding any sort of cold joints, bad connections or crossed wires.

Do you have a decent iron?? Something that is 25-35W and can transfer heat quickly is essential to ensuring that the pots survive and the solder joints are electrically solid.
            Yeah, the one I have works fairly well. It's a Solomon 40W from Stew Mac, chisel tip. It's a pencil. Even then, it's a little hard to get to the lugs because the spaces are so small, though.

I think I'll try a regular coil split to make sure the switch isn't defective, then go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
              Yeah, the one I have works fairly well. It's a Solomon 40W from Stew Mac, chisel tip. It's a pencil. Even then, it's a little hard to get to the lugs because the spaces are so small, though.

I think I'll try a regular coil split to make sure the switch isn't defective, then go from there.
              Chisel tip? As in like a flat head screw driver?

The diagrams are correct. If you are having issues something is not wired per the schematic or you have shorted something.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                Chisel tip? As in like a flat head screw driver?

The diagrams are correct. If you are having issues something is not wired per the schematic or you have shorted something.
                Yep. Flat.

Comment

Working...
                X