Ugly Pickup squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Pickup squeal

20 years ago I bought a pair of Seymour Duncan Stacked single coils. They were pretty low output, meant to be similar to my stock 73 fender pups. When I hit them with mega gain, for a Hendrix type sound, they either squealed or just choked off the feedback. I gave them away and went back to the stocks which go into a variety of beautiful notes when used with ultra-gain. EXCEPT... they are noisy. I had a 70s Gibson SG also with stock pickups, that also did feedback very well. So it shouldn't be a matter of single/dual coil. I'm looking for a pickup hotter than stock Fender Stratocaster pups without the mid-scoop that can handle the feedback gain range. Suggestions???
    1973 Fender Stratocaster.

Re: Ugly Pickup squeal

SSL5/6 they handle high gain very well without turning to mush. If you have microphonic pickups it is easy to repott them yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      SSL5/6 they handle high gain very well without turning to mush. If you have microphonic pickups it is easy to repott them yourself.
      Thanks,

Do you think that the potting has something to do with the squeal? Like they are not held tightly or something? What do you think about single coil stacks? They sound nice, but not sure they do high gain well, maybe having something to do with the design being one coil is not "open" to the strings. You know stacks sound very different than regular Gibson type pups.

Looking into the ssl 5s.
      1973 Fender Stratocaster.

Comment

The microphonics are more than likely due to potting. All you need to repott pickups is a pot of water, stove, candy thermometer, quart jar and some canning wax. Just melt the wax in the quart jar and bring the wax temperature down to 135 degrees. Let the pickup sit in the wax for a couple of minutes until there are no more bubbles coming from the pickup. Pull it out and let it harden and then do another very short dunk to build up a thicker layer.

Comment

you can also get the squeal by standing too close to your amp with high gain when the volume is up super high. I used to get god awful squeals when running an OD pedal through my JCM 800 and standing right in front of it
          2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
          Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
          Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Working...
          X