banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One little les Paul in a world filled with so many pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One little les Paul in a world filled with so many pickups...

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
    Uncle Ace does know well.

Personally, my next set of pickups will probably be a set of Pearlies. Of all the clips I have ever heard, they still have the best blend of old-school, cut, grind and aggression. The 59 wasn't my favorite, but it IS one of the better all-around sets. Personally, I thought the neck was a little boomy in my own LP and the bridge lacked a bit of personality. Who knows, some different magnets could have solved that. So, tell you what: If you get the 59s and they rule, then rock them hard, man. If you DO want to try some mags for a swap, I have two RC A2 magnets and two A5U magnets that I will lend/give/donate whatever if you feel the need. I was thinking about trying the A5U in the Seths that I am test-driving, but I don't think I want to disturb them.

If your friend could sell you a PGb for cheap, maybe he can let you test drive it for a bit? Try that, see if you like it and if so, we can help you find a neck PU to match. If the PG isn't your thing, then give the 59s a whirl.
    I have 3 Les Paul and some other humbucker guitars and a dozen spare humbuckers (most of them duncans of all kinds). I can support Soulcrusher, but should say the 59s are a magnificant set for 9 lb mahogany guitar as a Les paul. Everyone who needs bark and growl should try one.
    With the recommendation of Dr Barlo (long time member in this forum) i ended with Antiquities an Seths as a basis for all my gibson LPs. They are great pickups that can easily formed with magnets and come with different dcr readings. In my bass boomy Gibson 1982 Heritage Elite i use a low reading neck Ant with an A4 magnet and a RC A5 in the bridge. My very compressed and thinner sounding LP Classic now employs a high reading Ant neck with an A5 (not so scooped as 59 neck, also loved a T-Top in this spot and JazzN did also well)and ant bridge with a A8. My full and warm sounding 58 Historic has a seth neck (lower wound than Ant) with an Ant magnet (yield a woody tone) with low reading Ant bridge with RCUO a5.

My take on this is to listen to the guitar and understand what it needs for that certain player/music/amp configuration.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
      My take on this is to listen to the guitar and understand what it needs for that certain player/music/amp configuration.
      +1. You don't know where to go unless you know where you are.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Great advise guys. Thanks for all the replies. I think I will get a 59 set (hopefully used) and listen to see if it needs a change. I haven't tried enough pickups in my LP to know if what I'm listening to is the guitar or the pickups. If I had to guess, I'd say it is on the bright side, but I can always try a 250k pot for the bridge.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X