pot suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pot suggestions

hey guys i was wondering what yall would recommend for new volume and tone pots in a 12 string Jay Turser SG

i have a Duncan Custom bridge (which i am going to make into a Custom 8) and a Dimarzio Liquifire neck

i want to get push pull pots so i can coil split both humbuckers

should i also upgrade to a better 3 way switch?

thank you!

ps. im definitely more of a sativa guy fyi
    -IM

Re: pot suggestions

I wouldnt bother to upgrade the switch unless it doesnt give you the options you want or is failing.

The only thing I say with push pulls is some guitars (not many) the cavities are too shallow to accept the push pull pots. Its simple enough to measure and check.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

copy thank you

lets say the cavities are too shallow, what would be better pots to upgrade to

the ones in here are garbage, the guitar itself is awesome though
      -IM

Comment

ignoring the push pull that is
        -IM

Comment

I dig bourns pots. They have a looser feel that I like. Some dont though some like a firmer turning pot. They make a push pull even. CTS are pretty standard and makes nice pots too I just like the bourns feel better.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

i definitely like em loose haha

cap suggestions?
            -IM

Comment

I usually go to radio shack and buy a 39 cent .022 ceramic disc. Ive tried a few pios and the chicklet looking caps and I cant hear a difference so there I go cheap. It makes sense too since the signal that goes into the cap gets grounded out the signal that gets turned into audio doesnt go into the cap.

Comment

cheers dude thanks
                -IM

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                  I usually go to radio shack and buy a 39 cent .022 ceramic disc. Ive tried a few pios and the chicklet looking caps and I cant hear a difference so there I go cheap. It makes sense too since the signal that goes into the cap gets grounded out the signal that gets turned into audio doesnt go into the cap.
                  I think the key is checking the value and ensuring whatever you get is the correct value for the circuit and within tolerance (10% ok, try for 5% if you can get it. Caps are relatively cheap).

Also, I've had problems with the disc caps where they wouldn't measure a constant value. I would at least put an extra buck or two into a better cap just to ensure it's the right value and is constant in it's output.

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
                    i definitely like em loose haha

cap suggestions?
                    I did a test with a bunch of caps once using an SG with Seth Lover PUPs and this is what I heard:

.024uF Vitamin Q - best, most even tone (no weird peaks, just warmed the sound, not too dark)
                    .024uF Vitamin Q Oil in Paper - good, kind of dark when all the way down
                    .024uF Orange Drop - good, kind of dark when all the way down
                    .024uF Mylar roll - good, mellow tone, didn't get very dark
                    ,025uF Black Bee - dark, and had a resonant peak on a C note
                    .026uF Ceramic disc - weak for tone, also had some weird resonant peak

Comment

Working...
                    X