59/Custom Hybrid pairing recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59/Custom Hybrid pairing recommendations please

I'm ordering one for my LP standard. Looking for a good neck pickup that also sounds good coil tapped. I was thinking the Slash model. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone can tell me how aggressive the 59/C can get I'd like to hear your opinion on it too. Thanks!
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Re: 59/Custom Hybrid pairing recommendations please

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
    I'm ordering one for my LP standard. Looking for a good neck pickup that also sounds good coil tapped. I was thinking the Slash model. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone can tell me how aggressive the 59/C can get I'd like to hear your opinion on it too. Thanks!
    The 59/C can be as aggressive as you want to dial it in. I've heard recordings of guys doing just brutal stuff with it.

If you're interested in the Slash neck, go for it. Personally, I like the jazz screw/59 slug neck hybrid with the 59/C bridge. It gets some nice split tones, particularly when in the middle position with a split bridge hybrid.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Looking around the forums I ran across the Jazz/59 and it intrigued me. I'll be looking into it.

I've seen Keith Merrow and Ola both get amazing tones from the 59/C, and they sold me on it single(double)handedly. I just wanted to see if it was just them making it sound that good, or if I could get the same results. I'm using a Mesa Triple Recto btw. Trying to buy a 5150 or similar though.
      Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Comment

Have the 59/C in a LP and WLh set in a SG.

I'm not a pro-reviewer......

The 59/C is an excellent pup that reminds me of a restrained Custom. The WLHers remind me of smoothed out 59ers. When I go into coil split, the sound drops slightly but remains full and useful. The Gibson SG's with factory coil split seem to have a greater volume and tone loss compared to the WLHers.

From these two guitars, I suspect the 59/C and a WLH neck pup would make a good combination. I would expect some tightness in the bridge, and a smooth to crunchy [this might not be the best word] neck tone.
        That is not dead which can eternal lie,
        And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post

The Slash neck pickup is single conductor (cannot be coil tapped/split).

A friend of mine just installed a 59/custom as a neck pickup. Though it is a bridge model, its output range as a neck pickup works well with more aggressive high output pickups.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. That's helpful to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Grindspine View Post
              The Slash neck pickup is single conductor (cannot be coil tapped/split).

A friend of mine just installed a 59/custom as a neck pickup. Though it is a bridge model, its output range as a neck pickup works well with more aggressive high output pickups.

You can get the Slash as a 4 conductor now.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

A couple of things;

A tapped PAF output humbucker is super low output generally. Might not go so well with the 59/C. I can't say. Just raising the issue.
                I generally like hot buckers tapped because they end up in regular single output range.

This may / may not be an issue for you depending on your use. And I have no idea what may go well with the 59/C

I have a set of PG's that are tapped that sound fantastic. But they are both PG's.... I have a JB8 and regular PAF that are tapped, and I don't generally love those as much. The Tapped JB8 is not the greatest single sound though...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X