Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a SD schematic with P-Rails and Triple Shots

Hi All!

I read Dave Eichenberger's articles on using P-Rails and Triple Shot mounting rings...and I was inspired!!!

I am currently getting to the wiring stage of a Warmoth "SC1" guitar. I have my P-Rails and Triple Shot rings ready to go. However, there doesn't seem to be any wiring schematics on the Seymour Duncan website that uses both P-Rails AND Triple Shots. I'm wondering, can I use the schematic, listed in the Triple Shot section, that is titled "2ts_2v_2t_phsp"? This diagram shows humbuckers, but from what I am gathering in Dave's articles, the P-Rails can be substituted. Is this true?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371758035.923997.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	5828855

Dan Ziegler
    Clarkston, Michigan

Re: Using a SD schematic with P-Rails and Triple Shots

I've done this on one of my guitars and it's not the same coil for coil.
    Duncan humbuckers are black/white wires north/slug coil, green/red wires south/screws coil.
    P-Rails are the opposite black/white wires are the P90 which looks like the south coil on a humbucker.
    And the green/red are the blade which looks like the north coil on a humbucker.
    So depending on how you wan't the triple shots to work you may need to flip some of the wires to get the P90 or blade pickup on alone.
    You can test this on a meter to see for yourself which coil is what on the p-rails.
    The p90 will be the greater resistance on the meter then the blade pickup.
    Does this make sense?
    joyouswolf on eBay for references.
    Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by joyouswolf View Post
      I've done this on one of my guitars and it's not the same coil for coil.
      Duncan humbuckers are black/white wires north/slug coil, green/red wires south/screws coil.
      P-Rails are the opposite black/white wires are the P90 which looks like the south coil on a humbucker.
      And the green/red are the blade which looks like the north coil on a humbucker.
      So depending on how you wan't the triple shots to work you may need to flip some of the wires to get the P90 or blade pickup on alone.
      You can test this on a meter to see for yourself which coil is what on the p-rails.
      The p90 will be the greater resistance on the meter then the blade pickup.
      Does this make sense?
      I can't make any sense of it right now but here's a p-rails wiring explanation:

Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

This is not a triple shot and depending on how you want the switches to align with the p90 or blade it's a big difference.
        But it's all up to the user.

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
        I can't make any sense of it right now but here's a p-rails wiring explanation:

Comment

Follow the directions on the Triple Shot and you should be fine. I like to use the alternate method to get the switches "pointing" to the active coil.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks, all!

I'm still not 100% clear on whether this will work or not. But, Dave's article states that he basically followed the Triple Shot instructions. And since the schematic I want to use is a Triple Shot schematic from the SD website, it SHOULD work. No harm in trying! 😜

FYI, just figured out how to attach pics. Here is the actual schematic I want to use. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371915749.066841.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	5769002

Comment

Yes it will totally work just fine.
              So like GuitarDoc said so nicely "I like to use the alternate method to get the switches "pointing" to the active coil."
              Just know that with the P-RAILS you WON"T have to do the "alternate method to get the switches pointing to the active coil".
              It's the opposite so you can wire it "standard" and they will point to the active coil for single coil mode.
              I don't know why this was so hard for me to put into words.
              Peace

Comment

Originally posted by joyouswolf View Post
                Yes it will totally work just fine.
                So like GuitarDoc said so nicely "I like to use the alternate method to get the switches "pointing" to the active coil."
                Just know that with the P-RAILS you WON"T have to do the "alternate method to get the switches pointing to the active coil".
                It's the opposite so you can wire it "standard" and they will point to the active coil for single coil mode.
                I don't know why this was so hard for me to put into words.
                Peace
                I think you are correct. I vaguely remember such a thing, it's been so long since I wired in my P-Rails that I forgot that the wires are different.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X