banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HH, 1x vol 1x tone, 5-way....looking for the most versatile wiring scheme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH, 1x vol 1x tone, 5-way....looking for the most versatile wiring scheme?

Hi All

I'm modding my yamaha pacifica (currently HSS) to HH, and buying all new pots/switches along the way. As standard it has 1 vol and 1 tone pot, and a 5-way switch.

I've found some interesting schemes on this site but have a question...if I went with 2x push-pulls AND a 5-way superswitch/4P5T switch as well, would I be able to get even more useful coil-splitting and pup combinations? There doesn't seem to be a scheme here that uses both push-pulls and a superswitch together, but if anyone has done something similar I'd love to see what they did and how well it works. I'm after the widest range of sounds out of the one guitar as possible - it's my knockabout travel guitar so I'd like it to be a jack-of-all-trades.

I guess using 2x push-pulls and a 5-way super would give extra theoretical possibilities but I don't know if they would be worth having in practice, or whether the wiring would look like a plate of spaghetti!

Re: HH, 1x vol 1x tone, 5-way....looking for the most versatile wiring scheme?

I guess you would have to ask yourself if you would really find having alot of those options useful. In my opinion a much simpler solution is to use triple shot pickup rings. Unless your wanting to do some crazy phase reversals or something triple shots with just a 3 say switch will give you split, series and parallel for each pickup. What other options would you want?
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Ah I hadn't looked at those, but the pickups mount directly to the scratchplate, so I guess they're not for this build.

I see what you are saying about usable sounds. My imagination is lacking, but the best I can think of is using a push-pull to split each of the pickups (separately) and then having a 3-way switch to select between bridge, neck or both as per a LP. This would any combination of one or both pickups in either bucking or single-coil mode, according to how their respective push-pull pots were set.

Which is what I imagine this scheme does:

...but it doesn't say on the diagram what it does, and I can't yet read these diagrams to decipher it myself!

Comment

I've got a really nice and versatile wiring scheme for an HH setup that only requires the superswitch. Trouble is, I'm at work and can't post the diagram. I'll post it when I get home from work. It's what I use in my Tele-Gib.

Comment

I like this wiring. It's how the PGM401 is done. Of course, it doesn't have the details or a tone control (easily added in). I bet ArtieToo has a diagram for this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PGM401_SwitchSystem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	5768989

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I did try to reply earlier but as I included a link (to a scheme in the support section) my post seems to have got stuck in moderation limbo.

I like that last set-up, it seems a bit more varied than the one in the support section for 2 (non push-pull) pots and a 5-way superswitch - that one gives full humbucking for bridge and/or neck conventionally, and then single-coil bridge and neck (separately) in the remaining two positions.

Comment

I have a diagram for the Fender Blacktop/Big Apple/Double Fat Strat. Here are the options:

1. Full Neck HB
              2. Neck screw coil (outside coil)
              3. Both Full HBs
              4. Inside coil (slug coil) of each HB
              5. Full Bridge HB

If you like it, I can post my diagram. You need a super switch, but unlike the fender diagram you don't have to flip one of the magnets.
              MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

I've found a good cheap source for push-pulls and as I have tele style knobs, they are nice and tactile for pushing and pulling. So leaning towards a simple three-way switch and a push-pull to split each pup separately. However, this would mean I wouldn't have a parallel setting like in ErikH's diagram above, and from what I hear parallel is a pretty useful thing...so still undecided!

Comment

Originally posted by PacModMan View Post
                  I've found a good cheap source for push-pulls and as I have tele style knobs, they are nice and tactile for pushing and pulling. So leaning towards a simple three-way switch and a push-pull to split each pup separately. However, this would mean I wouldn't have a parallel setting like in ErikH's diagram above, and from what I hear parallel is a pretty useful thing...so still undecided!
                  You could make it a 4-way switch. I know there are Tele diagrams from SD that have the standard three selections, plus parallel.
                  MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Working...
                  X