What Pickups For My Build Project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Pickups For My Build Project?

Hey guys! Need some thoughts on pickups. Doing a swamp ash Strat body w/q-sawn maple neck and rosewood board. Going H-H for pickups. For the bridge, I really dig the WLH HB but want just a touch more heat. So thinking of a CS wind via Her Greatness, MJ. For the neck I want a more flutey sound but one that will mesh, so k was thinking Seth Lover in the neck. Maybe even wind it a touch hotter and pot it to reduce feedback. Another idea is to do a hot 59 that I had MJ wind me a few years ago (59 wound to 9.5). Or maybe even just do a stock sh18b and stock sh55n. What do you guys suggest. Please vote in the poll!

EDIT: When I say hot for the bridge pu, I mean between 10.5 to 12.0 DC resistance at the most. Don't want to get into the Custom Series' territory.
    Whole Lotta Bridge, Seth Neck... BOTH stock
    54.55%
    Hot Whole Lotta Bridge, Stock Seth Neck
    18.18%
    Hot Whole Lotta Bridge, Hot & Potted Seth Neck
    9.09%
    Hot Whole Lotta Bridge, Hot 59 Neck
    9.09%
    Rob Option - Please tell me what you recommend
    9.09%
    Last edited by ExplorersRock; 06-21-2013, 01:06 PM.
    MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Re: What Pickups For My Build Project?

If you're considering a CS model, how about the 78. Very versatile and would be a great match for that ash body. She can also make a matched set, so you'd have a groovy neck option as well. Just an idea.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
      If you're considering a CS model, how about the 78. Very versatile and would be a great match for that ash body. She can also make a matched set, so you'd have a groovy neck option as well. Just an idea.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad
      Not a bad idea. I've been a little hesitant in the past to try the 78 because I've heard its similar to the CC which hasn't been a favorite of mine. Still, can you tell me mode about it?

Comment

Do a search for the 78 demo thread. There's a video and several sound samples that cover different styles.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
          Not a bad idea. I've been a little hesitant in the past to try the 78 because I've heard its similar to the CC which hasn't been a favorite of mine. Still, can you tell me mode about it?
          I dont have alot of experience SD pickups. Ive only used the 59,JB,and a CS 78 wound onto a p-90 base. I really like the 78.

I like to plug direct into my amp with no effects. Once in a while I use one pedal. My amp is a Victoria 5112. The amp has only one control knob on it. My setup is very simple. In the past ive used a guitar with a Budz P-90 on it and a tele with a Budz pure bread set on it. This was the benchmark tone for myself that I liked.

When I had a chance to buy the guitar I have now it came with the 78. I was skeptical I thought I would just go ahead I get a P-90 for it. In my head I thought Van Halen and I really was not going for that kind of tone even though I dont really use effects.

When I got the guitar and plugged it in I was very impressed with the pickup. Im not good at describing pickups. This has a very nice distorted tone when I crank the amp. No mud even when you roll the tone control off. The notes sounded very well defined. It screams through my amp and is very easy to control by using the volume knob to go from clean to mean. It cleans up pretty well. Its staying in the guitar and sounds great to my ears with the korina wood that my guitar is made from.

I learned that it is a really nice pickup. It seams like it would work well for you with your set up. Like I said I dont know much about SD pickups but the 78 is a win win for me. I play mostly blues and blues type or classic rock. It works very well for me. Give it a try. These guys hear know a lot here.

In the future I will try the best to answer or help out with what I know and have done in my playing. I will try to do this in a few sentences. I just wanted to relate what I liked about the 78.

Comment

I'm gonna check out the demo of the 78. If it's more of an EVH type tone, that may not be the pickup for this build. Looks like folks are voting for stock stuff. Very interesting. Well, Saturday bump! I love the votes and opinions guys, keep 'em coming.

On a side note, how would the Seth blend with a Whole Lotta HB Bridge? Or with a '59b for those who don't have experience with an sh-18. My big concern is that the two blend well.

Comment

Final bump. Just hoping to get a few more opinions.

Comment

Yeah, I avoided the 78 for a while for a few reasons. One was output and one was the stigma of it being considered THE pup for VH tones. I was totally wrong. It may be a moderate output but the nature of the tone and the design make it sound like its pumping out more. And you're only gonna get a brown sound out of it if you're putting all the effects and amps in there to give it a brown sound...otherwise it's a very versatile pickup with a lot to offer. After I got one I ended up getting another.

Here is that link: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=255469
                Last edited by darthphineas; 06-23-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                  Yeah, I avoided the 78 for a while for a few reasons. One was output and one was the stigma of it being considered THE pup for VH tones. I was totally wrong. It may be a moderate output but the nature of the tone and the design make it sound like its pumping out more. And you're only gonna get a brown sound out of it if you're putting all the effects and amps in there to give it a brown sound...otherwise it's a very versatile pickup with a lot to offer. After I got one I ended up getting another.

Here is that link: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=255469
                  Yep, I think the amp has more to do with the brown sound than the pickup does.

Comment

Maybe an under wound CC in the bridge and a '59 or jazz in the neck. I had a swamp ash fender strat at one point for about 2 weeks and got rid of it right away. The mids kind of had a sucked in/hollow sound to them that I didnt like
                    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I recently acquired a Custom SHop Jimmy Page set. It seems a little hotter than the stock production version, and in a good way. Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                      X