Phase Issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase Issue ?

I'm about to wire two new SD pups into my strat. An STKS-9 for the bridge and STK S-6 in the neck, leaving the stock 1973 single coil in the middle. I've heard you have to reverse the leads on the Duncans otherwise positions 2+4 (on the 5 way switch) will sound weird. Would reversing the leads on the stock pup accomplish the same thing? What should I do? If I have to reverse the Duncans do I leave the ground shield(s) the same? What's the easiest way?

Thank You.
    1973 Fender Stratocaster.

Re: Phase Issue ?

Originally posted by peterpav View Post
    I'm about to wire two new SD pups into my strat. An STKS-9 for the bridge and STK S-6 in the neck, leaving the stock 1973 single coil in the middle. I've heard you have to reverse the leads on the Duncans otherwise positions 2+4 (on the 5 way switch) will sound weird. Would reversing the leads on the stock pup accomplish the same thing? What should I do? If I have to reverse the Duncans do I leave the ground shield(s) the same? What's the easiest way?

Thank You.
    ANYONE?
    1973 Fender Stratocaster.

Comment

Re: Phase Issue ?

The product description for both the STK6 and STK9 says, "When three Stack Plus pickups are all split, the middle pickup is RW/RP allowing hum-cancellation when used with the neck or bridge pickup." ...so that means, if you are not using the middle pickups of the Stack set along with coil splitting, you won't have any reverse wound pickups in play.

But just to be pedantic, what I do before soldering everything, I try to confirm whether any of the pickups are actually reverse wound. I use alligator-clip test wires to hook the pickups to the switch and then to a jack, then plug it into an amp. By throwing the switch and tapping pickups I can at least see if I am getting equivalent volume in every position, or if I get a significant tinny-thin volume drop when the pickups are in combination.
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 06-23-2013, 10:55 PM. Reason: Extra text pasted from Seymour's site got into the post

Comment

Working...
      X