banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I have a question about these. I'm going to buy the new Zach Myers PRS SE when it comes out and I have a Black Winter set just hanging around. I wanna go for that Opeth Blackwater Park tone, while still being able to use the guitar for other stuff (mostly modern metal). I figured the BWs would do the cleans well enough, but I'm curious if the bridge model would be too unruly or not. I run direct (currently do not own an amp, I sold off a lot of gear to move to a new state to be with a girl who dipped out a few months back), and I run through an Amptweaker Tight Metal pedal most of the time.

Edit: I also wanna add that the bend from Ghost of Periditon, that goes into the mini solo after the extensive clean part. . . I want that tone.
    Last edited by StayKruel; 12-26-2013, 12:29 PM.
    8 String Enthusiast/Hockey Puglist

Comment

The Black Winters should do all that stuff just fine.
      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

The guitar is a mahogany body/maple cap semi-hollow (the chamber is very small, its a singlecut body style). Thought I should add that too.
        8 String Enthusiast/Hockey Puglist

Comment

I've owned two Gibson LP Studios–absolutely loved them. I've never personally owned a Standard; however, I have played several and thought the only difference was purely aesthetics. That being said, I'm more of a Strat guy, so a person who loves LPs might say I'm crazy. lol Also, one of my Studios had an ebony board and the other had rosewood. I personally preferred the rosewood.

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
          I always thought the Les Paul Studios where Les Pauls without the trimmings (like binding). Are they different woods??
          I've never heard anyone call them crap before, but I don't own one. Do you see/ hear/ feel a big difference between your studios and your standard??

Comment

I about to order a Custom Shop Black Winter bridge w/soap bar housing. I was hoping they would make them a production model, but I have 0.0 patience.

Comment

Ye gods.... Still can't believe this thread still going. BTW still super happy with my SD custom shop Tyrannotitan's, and still haven't gotten around to buying a Black Winter.... Not that anyone cares
              DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                Ye gods.... Still can't believe this thread still going. BTW still super happy with my SD custom shop Tyrannotitan's, and still haven't gotten around to buying a Black Winter.... Not that anyone cares
                I care...You started this thread. I think you're obligated to buy one.
                I happen to like your CS pickup. I'm a huge DD fan and I think it's a flavor of that pickup you had MJ make.

Comment

This thread is actually kind of making me want a set. The music I play with my band is jazz, ambient, soul and blues (none of which I play with a clean tone mind you) but I've always gravitated towards pickups that are clear and high output, as some of my personal songwriting influences are more in the direction of Opeth, Porcupine Tree, higher gain with complex chords.

Basically.. dissuade me or convince me to buy them. I'm currently on the edge of buying a distortion set for that guitar so..
                  Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                  I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                  Andrew - None

Comment

black winters will be the next duncan set Im trying. Just got to find a guitar. Ive got an old beat up all mohogany ibanez s classic bolt on with a maple neck that my store them. Reckon they'd sound pretty good there

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
                      This thread is actually kind of making me want a set. The music I play with my band is jazz, ambient, soul and blues (none of which I play with a clean tone mind you) but I've always gravitated towards pickups that are clear and high output, as some of my personal songwriting influences are more in the direction of Opeth, Porcupine Tree, higher gain with complex chords.

Basically.. dissuade me or convince me to buy them. I'm currently on the edge of buying a distortion set for that guitar so..
                      I LOVE to hear that bro!!

What kind of amp are you using?

I'm telling you man...I've said it again and again...these things respond to the volume and tone controls like no other pickup I've ever tried in 25 years. It's like having a different pickup for each notch on your volume and tone knob.

Again...The neck pickup is completely unabashedly SICK.
                      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

The Black Winters are very similar to Gibson 500T and Bare Knuckle Painkiller, i have had both and the black winter is the winner for me.

Here is some clips: black winter vs c-pig vs holydiver vs motorcity solutin and the last clip is with c-bomb

Seymour Duncan Black Winter vs Motorcity Solution alnico V vs. Bare Knuckle Wapig ceramic vs BK Holy Diver

Seymour Duncan Black Winter vs. Motorcity Solution alnico vs. Bare Knuckle Warpig ceramic vs. BK Holy Diver

Bare Knuckle ceramic Warpig vs. Seymour Duncan Black Winter vs. Bare Knuckle Holy Diver vs. BK ceramic nailbomb vs Motorcity Solution alnico V

Comment

The Black Winters are very similar to Gibson 500T and Bare Knuckle Painkiller, i have had both and the black winter is the winner for me.

Here is some clips: black winter vs c-pig vs holydiver vs motorcity solutin and the last clip is with c-bomb

Seymour Duncan Black Winter vs Motorcity Solution alnico V vs. Bare Knuckle Wapig ceramic vs BK Holy Diver

Seymour Duncan Black Winter vs. Motorcity Solution alnico vs. Bare Knuckle Warpig ceramic vs. BK Holy Diver

Bare Knuckle ceramic Warpig vs. Seymour Duncan Black Winter vs. Bare Knuckle Holy Diver vs. BK ceramic nailbomb vs Motorcity Solution alnico V

Comment

Here is some clips: black winter vs c-pig vs holydiver vs motorcity solutin alnico v and the last clip is with c-bomb

Comment

Okay, I don't play death metal or satan metal, but I do play a good bit of Master of Puppets style metal. I'm in a cover band that does everything from Guns n Roses to Aerosmith, to 80s hair rock, to actual Metallica, to Lady Gaga, and Green Day. My tone that I'm going for, however is balls to the wall aggressive. But, I'm using an Orange Dark Terror with two 1x12 Orange cabs with V30s. I'm planning to swap a JB/Jazz neck combo for a Black Winters duo into an Epi Les Paul Custom. I like the JB/Jazz combo, but I've never had a really high output aggressive heavy metal guitar. I already have a set of 59s in one Epi which I like, and I even have another Les Paul with an Alnico 2 Pro neck and a Pearly Gates bridge which doesn't get quite as heavy as I'd like. The Alnico 2 Pro is great, and with proper finger technique I can get pretty close to Slash's Sweet Child sound when we have to cover that song. However, for the Epiphone Custom, I want to dip into the higher output range and not go active (yet). I'm willing to take a chance at swapping the JB/Jazz neck out for another higher output set.

I originally wanted Invaders because the massive output sounded so intriguing, but I've been told that if I do that to a Les Paul I can wind up in instant mudzone. The Orange Dark Terror is a single channel amp, and when I'm cranking it, I really only push my gain to just about 2 oclock. Any more and it's just unusable. So I could stand to even dial the gain down even more if necessary. The JB is great, but it has this sag and sorta drags behind on chugga chugga stuff. We do a cover of AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie" and I basically downpick every part of that song except for the solo I came up with.

What I do like about the JB/Jazz is that they both clean up well for my tastes even on a single channel amp. I like to hit my cleans with a touch of a Boss Super Chorus to add that 80s clean tone, and for the most part I'm pretty satisfied with what I come up with. I'd like to know this:

Instead of playing at drop H flat tuning, can I get away with playing in E flat standard and still be able to clean these Black Winters up enough to pass for a decent clean tone? That neck has just gotta be able to clean up. I don't really care if the bridge can or can't, but if it can that's always nice. The neck pickup on my Les Pauls are basically my "clean channels" when I'm not doing leads with them.... or semi-bluesy stuff with them.

Any thoughts and advice are welcome!

Comment

I threw my set in my Les Paul today. I've only had the chance to try them through my little Peavey Vypyr so far (didn't have the house to myself, so I couldn't crank up the Splawn or the Marshall), but so far they are just as bright as the Gibson 500T/496R set that I had in there before, but the Winters aren't harsh like the Gibsons were. I'll take it to practice tomorrow and run it through my Mesa and see what happens.
                                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                                X