banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Hello,

I recorded the song using the black winters. It's not really a demo but it gives an idea of the sound. They're very versatile pickups. The bridge is savage and the neck cuts through a mix nicely. You can get a lot out of those.
    Here it is !This a track I wrote three years ago but I never finished it. I gave myself one week to rerecord it, write the vocals and the solo, and mix it. I...

Cheers !

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm new here. After years of playing with EMGs and Blackouts I finally get rid of all active pickups. Tried different passives like Bareknuckles and SD, they were okay. But yesterday I installed BW bridge in my Greco LP and was blown away! Best pickup I ever played! I wanted to ask how far away from strings do you usually set this pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by WinterSoldier View Post
        Hi everyone, I'm new here. After years of playing with EMGs and Blackouts I finally get rid of all active pickups. Tried different passives like Bareknuckles and SD, they were okay. But yesterday I installed BW bridge in my Greco LP and was blown away! Best pickup I ever played! I wanted to ask how far away from strings do you usually set this pickup?
        Mine is set approx 3.7 mm from the strings (with the strings depressed at the last fret). Made it loose some of the "fuzz on 1" feel they had, and it's just chunk city now.

Comment

Looks like it sounds best that way. Mine is similar, 3.5mm on bass side and 2mm on treble. I had to raise it on treble side, because the pole pieces aren't aligned. Also I raised them on d an e string, now it sounds perfect. Very happy with this pickup, will buy the neck version soon!

Comment

Originally posted by WinterSoldier View Post

I never use a standard measurement for that. I have a picking/ strumming pattern that I go by and I adjust the height accordingly.

I have reports from yet another satisfied customer and newest member of the Brotherhood of the Black Winter. My boy Sudev from Indonesia has been posting nothing but great reports on his Black Winters setup in his Ibanez RG wired to a 5 way switch. Apparently he has one of the positions wired so that both bridge and neck are split but used together and it is giving him a believable acoustic sound. I get stories like this all the time and I can't remember the last time a group of people embraced a new piece of gear like this.

May all your winters be Black Winters.

~LD
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I was wondering to install the pickup on my Jackson Dinky DK2, replacing the Custom 5 SH-14 already present.
              The guitar has an alder body and a drop tuning (DAFCGD), I play mainly metal and thrash.
              How should it fit in your opinion?
              Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind

Comment

Howdy folks

New member here, and I thought it would be fitting to make my first post in this thread since I have a set of Black Winters on the way. These will also be my first set of Seymour Duncan pickups. They are going into my Ibanez 92UCGR Angels Depart guitar which is usually tuned down to C. I'm also looking for some 7 string pickups so I'll be reading up as much as I can to narrow down my choices.

This is what the Black Winters will be going in to:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ibanez.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	5784681

Comment

Guys, hows the black winter in drop D? is it shrill and overly bright... or is thick sounding? Im not trying to play black metal or anything extreme... just straight up heavy metal and some thrash... like lamb of god avenged sevenfold metallica... not really anything crazy heavy...

Comment

Never have heard a pickup that was ok in standard e that couldn't do drop d. i think you are putting too much emphasis that you need different pickups for different tunings. Usually if someone has a sound problem going from like tuning to E then dropping down to C or even B the problem is the set up not the pickups once the get their string gauges and tensions worked out the pickups are fine
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I've definitively had some murk in B or C standard that wasn't there in E, that could be cleaned up with the right pickup. But drop D is barely a departure.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggot View Post
                        I've definitively had some murk in B or C standard that wasn't there in E, that could be cleaned up with the right pickup. But drop D is barely a departure.
                        Murk is much easier to fix with a boost to tighten the lows than to swap pups when you want to change tunings.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I've done that too. Some guitars & pickups can be murky, including my Hagstrom with the stock pickups. A custom-would A4 Buddha pickup straightened to right out. There are a zillion other pickups that would have done the same.

Comment

I made a short play through this morning. I tried to keep it simple and go through a couple chords using different positions on the pickup selector switch. I do not recall what the single coil is in the middle position. The amp I'm using is a Mesa Boogie Mark IVb combo. Hope you enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungo View Post
                              Howdy folks

New member here, and I thought it would be fitting to make my first post in this thread since I have a set of Black Winters on the way. These will also be my first set of Seymour Duncan pickups. They are going into my Ibanez 92UCGR Angels Depart guitar which is usually tuned down to C. I'm also looking for some 7 string pickups so I'll be reading up as much as I can to narrow down my choices.

This is what the Black Winters will be going in to:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62059[/ATTACH]
                              I remember that guitar from the '91 Ibanez catalog!!!! That guitar is awesome!!!
                              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

How do you guys feel about a Black Winter set in a Les Paul Trad Pro II into a juiced up JCM800?

Comment

Working...
                                X