banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Someone in the pedalboards of doom forum on Facebook asked about a pickup with great cleans for a vintage(y) lawsuit Ibanez Iceman and I replied "A Black Winter with the volume rolled off halfway. and No...I'm not kidding."

The dude says to me "I don't roll my volume."

I can't.

I just can't even.
    I mean, it took me a while to appreciate just how much range you can get when rolling off the volume, but to be set against it? Hard to fathom.

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Ultimately, it is up to your ears. If you are getting happy, you are doing something right.

Everything you are doing is right where the Winters are concerned. Since they are pretty much the same pickup throughout the taper though, find a sound you like with them at full (guitar) volume and then roll off to taste. They are oddly magical that way.

You can also dial the Marshall to the point of breakup and then slam the front end with the Winters...almost like a boost pedal. (Honestly...there's THAT much output.)

If you are partial to an overdrive pedal, I really like the idea of lowering the gain on the pedal and just hitting it with Winter.

OH!!!! Also...the Clapton "woman tone" trick works great!!! Both pickups, roll the tone down on the neck. Even if you don't want to mess with the neck tone, both pickups together will still get you an insanely wide range of usable tones.

Good luck and if I missed anything, hit me up \m/,

~LD
    Amazing. Thank you! I will def try the both pups with neck tone rolled down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
      Well, a Sentient might work. More scooped than the jazz, more mids than the 59N. Output might be an issue though. Maybe the DDn, or even a demon?
      I dunno, the Sentient is frequently paired with the Nazgul, which is plenty high output. I've never felt the Sentient in my Schecter is unable to keep up with the Nazgul.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Just wondering: Other than the Black Winter Neck, which rules, what do you guys pair with your Black Winter Bridge? I got a new guitar in which I put a BW in the bridge. I initially had a '59B in the neck. Didn't like it. Too scooped and boomy. I then tried a DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary... kinda boomy too, though not as much, but it's way underpowered and won't keep up with the BW-B. I have a BW-N in another guitar, but I think I want to try something different in this one.
        Laugh, but I paired mine with a cheap Epiphone neck humbucker. Although much, much, much lower output than the BW, it actually matches it's volume. It's clear as a bell, has a solid dose of mids and is not boomy at all. It actually pulls off some really nice pushed, hollow Strat-like blues neck tones. Matter of fact I was just playing it today for close to a half hour alone.
        Last edited by Van Noord; 02-07-2019, 07:31 PM.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Check this out, dudes... this waveform is my guitar plugged into my interface. The first half is the PAF 36th Anni in the neck. Then I switch pickups and the HUGE spikes are the Black Winter. Both are set at about the same distance from the strings...

Click image for larger version

Name:	51548026_380745092754401_5283175688113750016_n.png
Views:	2
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	5812845

Yeah... I need a new neck pickup, LOL.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-07-2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Just wondering: Other than the Black Winter Neck, which rules, what do you guys pair with your Black Winter Bridge? I got a new guitar in which I put a BW in the bridge. I initially had a '59B in the neck. Didn't like it. Too scooped and boomy. I then tried a DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary... kinda boomy too, though not as much, but it's way underpowered and won't keep up with the BW-B. I have a BW-N in another guitar, but I think I want to try something different in this one.
            I say either the Slash or Alnico II Pro. Same type of eq profile, but more touch-sensitive/bigger dynamic range. An Invader neck is also a great choice.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hmmm... I do wonder what the Slash Bridge is like as a neck pickup!

Comment

Hmmm... I do wonder what the Slash Bridge is like as a neck pickup!
                LOL Rex, what is your obsession with putting bridge pickups in the neck? (j/k!) :P
                Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
                Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
                Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
                Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

I guess my obession seems to come from being constantly disappointed by low output pickups in the neck position.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-08-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I guess my obession seems to come from being constantly underwhelmed by low output pickups in the neck position.
                    Hey well this might be perfect timing, especially in light of Mincer's previous suggestion(s):
                    Just picked up a SECOND Schecter Banshee Elite-6, this time in Cat's Eye Pearl. (OK, -now- who has an obsession!). This thing is mint, a screaming deal (That's "screaming deal", not Screaming Demon!) Actually speaking of pickups, this 2nd Banshee came with, not the afore-mentioned Demons, but an INVADER set! And guess what ima put inna neck slot? Why, Black Winter neck, of course!
                    Soooo, i might be able to hook you up with an Invader neck for cheap, bro. If that's something you want to try. Send me a PM if so.
                    Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Thank you, dude, but I think I want to give the DiMarzio D Activators a try first.

Comment

I guess my obession seems to come from being constantly disappointed by low output pickups in the neck position.
                        Have you tried Sentient in the neck? I am continually amazed by how effortlessly it keeps up with the Nazgul bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
                          Have you tried Sentient in the neck? I am continually amazed by how effortlessly it keeps up with the Nazgul bridge.
                          Yea that's my thought, too. And for some reason I just can't bring myself to have matching sets of anything installed in a guitar, I guess all in the name of "versatility."
                          I was actually thinking of trying: Black Winter bridge, w/Sentient neck, and/or; Nazgul bridge w/Black Winter neck.
                          Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

I have not tried the Sentient. I am definitely interested because I have heard people have no issue pairing it with high output bridge humbuckers. However, what's kept me from trying it is I've read it being described as part '59, part Jazz, and I like neither, lol.

Comment

I have a 59n paired with a JB, and I'm not too crazy about the 59n either. But...I've recently found it sounds infinitely better with the tone dial turned back to 5,6,7/10. It warms it up, removes some of the peakyness, and makes it more vocal sounding.
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I have not tried the Sentient. I am definitely interested because I have heard people have no issue pairing it with high output bridge humbuckers. However, what's kept me from trying it is I've read it being described as part '59, part Jazz, and I like neither, lol.
                                Hmm. I wouldn't describe the Sentient as a composite of the '59 and the Jazz. I'd describe it as a occupying a nice middle ground between the two. A bit scooped without being hollow, enough mids for body, and very articulate. Very. Note definition is not an issue at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X