banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Hey wow...you know whay!?!?

I don't think I get those because I have an Explorer Pro!?!? I have a much smaller body style than you do and that might make a difference.

Now I'm all curious about normal Explorers.

Hmmmmmmmm...
    Oh duh, I forgot that your's is a Pro. And yeah, that would make a difference.

On a different note, anybody got any suggestions for single coils and single coil sized humbuckers to go with a Black Winter bridge. I'm thinking a Lil' Screamin' Demon for the middle slot on my Jackson DK2S (leaving the stock sustainiac in the neck, though). And for my DK2 Eerie Dress a Lil' Screamin' Demon neck and maybe a Twang Banger in the middle? Anybody got any other ideas?
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

My band played at a friend's wedding reception on Saturday night and I played the cheap V with the black Winters in it. The over all sound of the band was different because we weren't in the basement and were playing on the back deck of our friend's house, so I had to adjust my EQ a little.

And the Black Winters? They ripped some ass! Aside from the fact that I like to have some more mids dialed in with my Mesa Triple Rec, they had a very similar sound to the EMG Het Set (the same point Dhala made a few pages back) that the other guitarist was playing through in his ESP/LTD M series and Peavey XXX.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be putting BWs in either of my guitars that have Ebony fretboards, but as I eluded to in my question, I will be putting them in my guitars with Rosewood fretboards.
      Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 09-03-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
        My band played at a friend's wedding reception on Saturday night and I played the cheap V with the black Winters in it. The over all sound of the band was different because we weren't in the basement and were playing on the back deck of our friend's house, so I had to adjust my EQ a little.

And the Black Winters? They ripped some ass! Aside from the fact that I like to have some more mids dialed in with my Mesa Triple Rec, they had a very similar sound to the EMG Het Set that the other guitarist was playing through in his ESP/LTD M series and Peavey XXX.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be putting BWs in either of my guitars that have Ebony fretboards, but as I eluded to in my question, I will be putting them in my guitars with Rosewood fretboards.

Interesting.

I was actually thinking of dropping one in my SG VOODOO which is swamp ash with an ebony board.

Do you think it might be too bright? Is that why?
        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Interesting.

I was actually thinking of dropping one in my SG VOODOO which is swamp ash with an ebony board.

Do you think it might be too bright? Is that why?
          For my tastes, yes, but your's may be different. The theory I have in my head at the moment is if I run Black Winters in my Cheap V, and the two Dinkys that I use (all with Alder bodies, bolt on Maple necks, and Rosewood boards), and then run Distortions in both my USA King V and USA Soloist (both Alder bodies with Maple neck through, and Ebony boards), I can hopefully switch back and forth between guitars with minimal EQ adjustments.

........or at least that's my theory.........

Comment

Sounds like a plan man.

Hopefully it works out for you.

I can tell you this....I can switch back and forth between my Explorer Pro with Mahogany body and Maple to my other Explorer Pro that is all mahogany with the winters in them with no problems and I haven't even changed the pickups in the maple top one yet.

(was that confusing???...that's why I name all my guitars.) I think it will work out for you though.
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

Sounds like a plan man.

Hopefully it works out for you.

I can tell you this....I can switch back and forth between my Explorer Pro with Mahogany body and Maple to my other Explorer Pro that is all mahogany with the winters in them with no problems and I haven't even changed the pickups in the maple top one yet.

(was that confusing???...that's why I name all my guitars.) I think it will work out for you though.
              Thanks.

Sounds like, in your case, the Black Winters are making up for a lack of a Maple top.

And as far as what I'm thinking about, I think it'll work to. The hardest decision is deciding just what to put in the middle and neck slots of the Dinkys smd the Soloist, since they are all in HSS configuration.

Comment

Thanks.

Sounds like, in your case, the Black Winters are making up for a lack of a Maple top.

And as far as what I'm thinking about, I think it'll work to. The hardest decision is deciding just what to put in the middle and neck slots of the Dinkys smd the Soloist, since they are all in HSS configuration.
                My Jem has a Bill Lawrence L500XL in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck. I put a quarter pounder in the middle and it does a great job the higher output L500XL and the relatively tame Pearly Gates. These are clearly NOT the pickups you are talking about but they are higher output than normal and The Quarter pounder hangs with both of them. If you want to go full on hum cancelling, the custom shop can do a single coil housing for the Pearly Gates which would be great...especially in the Alder Jacksons.

Comment

My Jem has a Bill Lawrence L500XL in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck. I put a quarter pounder in the middle and it does a great job the higher output L500XL and the relatively tame Pearly Gates. These are clearly NOT the pickups you are talking about but they are higher output than normal and The Quarter pounder hangs with both of them. If you want to go full on hum cancelling, the custom shop can do a single coil housing for the Pearly Gates which would be great...especially in the Alder Jacksons.
                  The Quarter Pounder is one that I've been considering for the middle, and the PG is by far my favorite neck pup. And I might do just that. BW bridge, QP middle and PG Jr neck.

And I don't see why a PG wouldn't work, now that you mention it, since I ran mine with my one of my Dimebuckers in my Les Paul for several years and it did just fine output wise.

Comment

So the Black Winters would be too bright for Alder bodied guitars with Ebony Fretboards? I thought with the darker characteristics it might balance out some of the brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
                      So the Black Winters would be too bright for Alder bodied guitars with Ebony Fretboards? I thought with the darker characteristics it might balance out some of the brightness.
                      For my tastes, yes. Ebony is a very bright sounding wood, and Black Winters have more on top than Duncan Distortions. So it should balance out halfway decent for me if I run DDs in my Maple neck through/Ebony fretboard Jacksons and Black Winters in my bolt on Maple neck/Rosewood fretboard Jacksons.

Comment

For my tastes, yes. Ebony is a very bright sounding wood, and Black Winters have more on top than Duncan Distortions. So it should balance out halfway decent for me if I run DDs in my Maple neck through/Ebony fretboard Jacksons and Black Winters in my bolt on Maple neck/Rosewood fretboard Jacksons.
                        So Duncan Distortions would fit better huh? I like to have a very balanced tone, and I also like to have mids, but I can dial that in on the amp.

Comment

That was stated as a matter of personal taste.

You should try the Winters and see for yourself. You can always tame the brightness with different value caps or your tone knob.

I personally don't see the wood of the fretboard affecting sound to such a serious degree. [This is my taste and my opinion]

So now we have an average of opinions here and all you can do is try it and see if you like it.d

Comment

That was stated as a matter of personal taste.

You should try the Winters and see for yourself. You can always tame the brightness with different value caps or your tone knob.

I personally don't see the wood of the fretboard affecting sound to such a serious degree. [This is my taste and my opinion]

So now we have an average of opinions here and all you can do is try it and see if you like it.d
                            Fair enough, my only fear is that I want to get all the tones I like first hand. I don't want to install and then say, "Oh well, I don't like this, that, etc..." I want to get it right the first time.

The Black Winters seem very interesting, and I want to try them. I guess maybe I should just pull the trigger?

I want something fairly versatile, and can at least achieve a good clean tone, which from what you've stated before, is what can be done. Are they naturally scoopy? Or do they have a solid midrange? I like to have a nice midrange voicing, plenty of lows, and some clarity with the high without sounding harsh and ice-picky.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
                              I decided to play a little with the pickup height. It made all the difference!
                              What height did you set it at?

Comment

Fair enough, my only fear is that I want to get all the tones I like first hand. I don't want to install and then say, "Oh well, I don't like this, that, etc..." I want to get it right the first time.

The Black Winters seem very interesting, and I want to try them. I guess maybe I should just pull the trigger?

I want something fairly versatile, and can at least achieve a good clean tone, which from what you've stated before, is what can be done. Are they naturally scoopy? Or do they have a solid midrange? I like to have a nice midrange voicing, plenty of lows, and some clarity with the high without sounding harsh and ice-picky.
                                Like Lucy said above, it's a preference thing for me, which is why I will only run the BWs in certain guitars.

And as far as the EQ of the Black Winters themselves, like I said above, to my ears they are very well balanced with some extra top end. Good solid mids, just the right amount of lows without getting muddy, and a bright top end (about like turning up the presence knob on an amp). So they're not scoopy at all.

But if there's any quirkyness to the natural tone of your guitar, it's gonna come through, like it did in my Explorer. In fact, they sounded like dog s*** in my Explorer. But in my JS series King V, they sound brutal. And the cleans are awesome.

And, again, like Lucy said, if the top end is a bit much for you just throw a bigger tone cap in the control circuit. Or go to a 250k tone pot if you're running a 500k.

Comment

Working...
                                X