banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I'm wondering if I should swap my stock 490r/498t from my 2005 Gibson SG Standard for this.
    What is your opinion on the subject?

My other guitars are fitted with SH-5/59n, and Slash Alnico II Pro's.
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by Scapin View Post
      Hello,

The thread is a bit old but I'm very interested by those pickups. From what I read, they are very versatile and are amazing in extreme metal genres. It is what I am looking for in a pickup.
      I have an ibanez rg721rw , basswood body, rosewood top and fretboard. Would that work ?

Thanks'
      I'm guessing that your guitar has a very warm and prominent midrange, and Black Winters have a fairly flat response. So I'm gonna guess that you'll have plenty of mids, which can be a good thing if that's what you like.
      Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
        I'm wondering if I should swap my stock 490r/498t from my 2005 Gibson SG Standard for this.
        What is your opinion on the subject?

My other guitars are fitted with SH-5/59n, and Slash Alnico II Pro's.
        They should sound good, but they arent going to be anything like the pickups you already have. Black Winters tend to let the individual tone of the guitar in come through and enhance it to a certain extent than color the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
          They should sound good, but they arent going to be anything like the pickups you already have. Black Winters tend to let the individual tone of the guitar in come through and enhance it to a certain extent than color the sound.
          So that means that if I truly like my Gibson SG sound, the Black Winters will only enhance that sound for me. Meaning the guitar sound, not like the pickups are helping me to get a different sound. It should be interesting. I plan on playing on standard tuning with them.

I really want something different than the stock pickups. If you see, this is my only guitar left with stock pickups. All the other ones have been modified in certain way.
          Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

So that means that if I truly like my Gibson SG sound, the Black Winters will only enhance that sound for me. Meaning the guitar sound, not like the pickups are helping me to get a different sound. It should be interesting. I plan on playing on standard tuning with them.

I really want something different than the stock pickups. If you see, this is my only guitar left with stock pickups. All the other ones have been modified in certain way.
            Basically, yes. Also, if there are any quirks in your guitar's tone, you're gonna hear it. For instance, the first guitar I tried them in was my Gibson Explorer, and this particular Explorer has gobs of low mids. So when I installed the BWs in it I had a really honky thing going on in the low mids.

But they have worked just fine in the two guitars I've had them in since, my Jackson JS Series King V and my Les Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
              Basically, yes. Also, if there are any quirks in your guitar's tone, you're gonna hear it. For instance, the first guitar I tried them in was my Gibson Explorer, and this particular Explorer has gobs of low mids. So when I installed the BWs in it I had a really honky thing going on in the low mids.

But they have worked just fine in the two guitars I've had them in since, my Jackson JS Series King V and my Les Paul.
              Pretty neat! Well... this is the sound of my Gibson SG Standard.

I'm using the 498t mostly in this song.

I like to play/sound multiple ways so a versatile sound, is a plus.
              As I said, I have guitars with SH-5/59n' & Slash Alnico II Pro's combination.

I have played guitars with 18v EMG's, Pearly Gates neck, Fender Noiseless Pickups.

What can I expect if I go with the Black Winter's? Curiosity is killing me, plus the desire of using again what was my main guitar from 2006 to 2012.
              Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

A very open, balanced sound with BWs. It sounds like nothing is holding your guitar back, but the pickups are not hugely coloring your sound either. They are extraordinarily clear sounding. I honestly think they are some of the best sounding pickups I have heard with one caveat. I have one guitar I keep for sentimental reasons that honestly, I think the wood sounds weird. (It has sounded a touch off with about a dozen types of pickups in the same way.) I want a pickup in there that dominates the sound. Black winters I am sure would not hide that guitar's weird sound at all. They don't really dominate your sound, but let the guitar sound like itself.

Comment

I liked them at first but i've really gone off them. Theyre now up on ebay.
                  Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                  WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                  http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
                    A very open, balanced sound with BWs. It sounds like nothing is holding your guitar back, but the pickups are not hugely coloring your sound either. They are extraordinarily clear sounding. I honestly think they are some of the best sounding pickups I have heard with one caveat. I have one guitar I keep for sentimental reasons that honestly, I think the wood sounds weird. (It has sounded a touch off with about a dozen types of pickups in the same way.) I want a pickup in there that dominates the sound. Black winters I am sure would not hide that guitar's weird sound at all. They don't really dominate your sound, but let the guitar sound like itself.
                    Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
                    It sounds quite interesting, but just for only a guitar. My SG sounds good, but could use a little help. I'm not a big fan of the 490r. I feel it kinds of kill the guitar vibe. It ain't at par with the 498t.
                    Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
                      What didn't you like? I am just curious.

Comment

Has anyone seen the review by iGuitarMag?

I believe it's one of the clearest Black Winter demos online. Pickups really seem to have that heavy music sounding vibe.
                        Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Has anyone seen the review by iGuitarMag?

I believe it's one of the clearest Black Winter demos online. Pickups really seem to have that heavy music sounding vibe.
                          From what I hear, awesome articulation, good cleans, good balance between the frequencies and a lot of Rick's style playing !
                          They sound massive and versatile. I can't wait to try them in my guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Scapin View Post
                            From what I hear, awesome articulation, good cleans, good balance between the frequencies and a lot of Rick's style playing !
                            They sound massive and versatile. I can't wait to try them in my guitar.
                            Me too! I'm daydreaming of replacing the 498t/490r combination in my Gibson SG Standard, for a Black Winter set. Another guitar could be my Slash Alnico II equipped Gibson Flying V. Which do you think could be the best decision for them?
                            Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

I'm getting a Schecter SLS C7, baritone 7 string guitar (26.5" scale, mahogany body, maple set neck with ebony fingerboard). This guitar is loaded with SD Full shred in the bridge and a 59. But I was thinking to maybe change pickups.
                              For my needs I need to cover a great range on genres going from ambient, to jazzy stuff and up to more doom-metallesque moods.
                              Do you think a set of Black Winter could be a good choice?
                              Last edited by Gila_Crisis; 09-04-2014, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Ambient and jazzy?

Oh yeah, the BW is for you

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X