My Custom Shop 7-string pickup: The Magnetar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Custom Shop 7-string pickup: The Magnetar

Thought you guys might dig this. I asked MJ to make something pretty specific for me. The description I gave her was:

"…A custom shop 7-string bridge pickup for a basswood Ibanez RG (maple neck, rosewood fretboard): tight bass and slightly scooped mids but a bit of a kick in the upper mids and treble – a sort of 'dry' sound that gets percussive when palm-muting. I tend to favor bridge humbuckers between 11k and 14k. To put it another more abstract way: a pickup whose tone feels like sanded maple, tastes like creme brûlée and looks like sunlight through a glass of beer."

And unsurprisingly, because she's a genius, MJ NAILED it. It's got an Alnico 8 magnet and the DC Resistance is 13.90k. And it sounds... like... THIS...

You can hear it here in an Ibanez UV777BK Universe 7-string in AmpliTube 3. The AmpliTube patch is one that I created to sound as close to my DSL50 as I could possibly get it, after much A/B-ing.

I love how this thing sounds and I'm sure one of these days I'll get a few more in 6 and 8 string versions. I couldn't be happier with it. It's chunky, it's bright but not brittle, it's rich, it's warm... it's just a monster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetar-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	5828911

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetar-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	5828912

Re: My Custom Shop 7-string pickup: The Magnetar

well damn, that sounded righteous!

Comment

NICE! how does it clean up?

Comment

Originally posted by Petie View Post
        Thought you guys might dig this. I asked MJ to make something pretty specific for me. The description I gave her was:

"…A custom shop 7-string bridge pickup for a basswood Ibanez RG (maple neck, rosewood fretboard): tight bass and slightly scooped mids but a bit of a kick in the upper mids and treble – a sort of 'dry' sound that gets percussive when palm-muting. I tend to favor bridge humbuckers between 11k and 14k. To put it another more abstract way: a pickup whose tone feels like sanded maple, tastes like creme brûlée and looks like sunlight through a glass of beer."

And unsurprisingly, because she's a genius, MJ NAILED it. It's got an Alnico 8 magnet and the DC Resistance is 13.90k. And it sounds... like... THIS...

You can hear it here in an Ibanez UV777BK Universe 7-string in AmpliTube 3. The AmpliTube patch is one that I created to sound as close to my DSL50 as I could possibly get it, after much A/B-ing.

I love how this thing sounds and I'm sure one of these days I'll get a few more in 6 and 8 string versions. I couldn't be happier with it. It's chunky, it's bright but not brittle, it's rich, it's warm... it's just a monster.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43854[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43855[/ATTACH]
        How did you get it named..? Or will they do that for you..?
        Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Sounds fantastic....that's a killer tone. Nice playing too...
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

That is just plain KILLER. Congrats!

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

I dig it. I'd like to hear some heavy rythym work from it
              "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Sounds great!!!

Yeah.. how did the naming process go.. and how did you get the "custom shop" stickers on yours? I have three.. and none have that sticker (looks like the box)...

Thanks..

Comment

The sustain is fantastic. Those pinch harmonics sound amazing. I want one. SD please make this a production model.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                  X