The "Custom from Hell"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Custom from Hell"

Well, guess what I did today folks? Taking after the "JB from Hell," andnot liking the mushy sound I was getting running it through a preamp, I took the 3 Ceramic magnets from a Gibson 500T (the Invader has the same configuration, too) and installed them in a Custom. It made my guitar a total crunch machine and gave me the exact sound I was after! The cleans don't suck, either, because it's very clear! What the magnets being like this does in theory is make the magnetic field more linear and wider. P-90's have a similar thing going on, in fact, it sort of reminds me of a P-90, in a way.

Of course, results might vary, I have a preamp installed in my guitar (there's barely any treble loss) and the guitar uses the bottom six strings of a 56-10 7 string set, tuned in Baritone. (B E A D F# B). It may or may not be muddy wired passively. I'm guessing not though.
    ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Re: The "Custom from Hell"

My 500T only has one magnet in it.

Comment

i can see the custom working better, its a more clear toned defined pup. aint messing around fun!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
        Hey bro...are you sure that a 500T has 3 magnets???
        Yep, one in the middle and two on the sides. They are 1/4" wide and 1/4" tall, the side magnets. You've to have the same magnet polarity going to the pickup poles BTW, otherwise, you're only lowering it's magnetic strength, not increasing it.

Playing my guitar some more tonight, I can tell you, it has some amazing cleans! I now really doubt it'd be a muddy pup run passive now.
        ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Originally posted by korinastratkyle
          What the magnets being like this does in theory is make the magnetic field more linear and wider. P-90's have a similar thing going on, in fact, it sort of reminds me of a P-90, in a way.
          As far as I know the magnetic field goes out from the sides of the magnet not from the top and bottom. The slugs and screws (which are in contact with the side of the magnet) conduces this magenetic field throught the coil. So if you place another magnet on the other side of the polepiece you are increasing the strenth of the magnetic field but not making it wider or more linear. And same happens with the P-90.

Anyway, experimenting it's great!!

Comment

I tried this the other day with the Invader magnets, and posted it as "Custom 666." I thought there was too much bass. Not enough to get muddy, but too much for articulate trem-picking. I wonder if maybe the 500T's magnets are smaller than the Invader's....
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
              I tried this the other day with the Invader magnets, and posted it as "Custom 666." I thought there was too much bass. Not enough to get muddy, but too much for articulate trem-picking. I wonder if maybe the 500T's magnets are smaller than the Invader's....
              Oh, really, great minds think alike! LOL Anyways, yeah, it is bassy, but that's what I needed since this is a heavily detuned guitar we're talking about, I was lacking definition on the B string.

Comment

What kind of guitar is it?
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                X