pickup help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup help

hey everyone I have a guitar that I think needs a pup swap. I have schecter solo6 hellraiser special with emg 81/85. mahogany body maple neck. I use the new marshall dsl100h with a blue voodoo cab with v30s and g12t75s in a x pattern. I play hard rock and im the rhythm guitar player for my band. i want a good low end but want an aggressive mid and cutting. any suggestions?

Re: pickup help

Duncan Custom (SH5), and a 59 or Jazz neck would be a good start...especially for more modern hard rock.

I mostly like low output myself and play classic hard rock/metal..Slash set is awesome, as are Seths, though the Seths are unpotted which can cause some trouble with high gain/volume. Both sets do very well crunching away as well as leads.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Please explain what a "good" low end is?
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

good low as in chunky but not to much.

Comment

Hey dude, your guitar is active so the Duncan Custom (SH5), 59 and Jazz is a waste of time, try the blackout set or a blackout in the bridge and a classic II in the neck. blackouts are better than the 81/89 and I think it will give you the good low end and aggressive mids for cutting that you want. Rock on

Comment

Originally posted by ryancuts View Post
            Hey dude, your guitar is active so the Duncan Custom (SH5), 59 and Jazz is a waste of time, try the blackout set or a blackout in the bridge and a classic II in the neck. blackouts are better than the 81/89 and I think it will give you the good low end and aggressive mids for cutting that you want. Rock on
            Why are the SH5 and Jazz a waste of time?

The guitar itself isnt active just the pickups and they can be changed the only difficulty he might have is installing a bridge ground wire.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

what you say is true but I like to keep it simple, have a active guitar and have have a passive one to.

Comment

For what you play, you don't need actives...nor do you WANT actives.

Bridge = Custom 8,
                Neck = Screamin Demon

or

Seth set
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

First thing you have to do is be clear on what it is you don't like about the pickups, what they lack that you want, and what they have that you wish would go away.
                  Generic signature line.

Comment

You might actually find the trip from active to passive is harder if the pots are different spec......I remember the only (EMG) actives I tried required different rated pots.

Comment

Yes, you'll need different pots (usually 500k), but that's not a big deal.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        For what you play, you don't need actives...nor do you WANT actives.

Bridge = Custom 8,
                        Neck = Screamin Demon

or

Seth set
                        As was stated in the sound room, a mag swapped pickup shouldn't be a first line of defense.

Can you name some styles of hard rock? If possible, bands that you find your sound close to? If you're looking for an AC/DC type rhythm sound, then that's much different than a Guns and Roses type rhythm sound.

I mean, there's the Custom, the 59, the JB, the Seth, the 59/C hybrid. If you want a really versatile setup, then a P-Rails set and two SD triple shots would give you a sound for pretty much any style.

So, a little more information goes a long way, because you are thinking 90's era Metallica (hard rock era), that's a big difference from Aerosmith.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                        X