banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking strongly of replaceIng my neck pickups....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking strongly of replaceIng my neck pickups....

Hey all,

I just ordered another of my SD Custom Shop 'Tyrannotitan' humbuckers when I watched the video they made demoing the SH18 pickups, so I was thinking of replacing my '59 neck pickups in both my V's with Whole Lotta neck pickups.... What you all think?
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Re: Thinking strongly of replaceIng my neck pickups....

Question is: what do you think?

What are you looking for that's different from what you have?

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't really know what you are looking for however, here are some WLH observations.

Keep in mind, I sure am not a pro reviewer and here are observations with my test bed which consists of a SG Standard thorough a small stock amp, the Mesa Express.

This pickup seems easier to live with than a 59 because the bass isn't as pronounced or boomy like a 59 can be. The WLH is like a smooth 59 with some dig-in grit. Also this pickup splits nicely with a slight power loss and still has a full sound.
      That is not dead which can eternal lie,
      And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

I actually have a neck CS pickup on it's way. It just left Friday or late last week. I had asked for a "side by side" humbucker version of the YJM Fury neck pickup. I know the fury IS a humbucker but it's stacked.. I had asked MJ is we could get the same sound, tone, eq, etc.. of the Fury and pop it into a side by side bucker for my neck position. It apparently took a good while.. and needed some help from the engineering dept I was told. The same guys that worked with YJM on getting his pickups right.. are the ones who essentially worked with MJ to design my neck pickup. I should have it this week!! =)

Of course, that is the sound I'm going for... what sound DarkOrder are you going for? Don't forget some of the popular bridge pickups have a "neck" version.. or even the Hybrid can be used in the neck opposite your beast bridge pickup. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
          Don't really know what you are looking for however, here are some WLH observations.

Keep in mind, I sure am not a pro reviewer and here are observations with my test bed which consists of a SG Standard thorough a small stock amp, the Mesa Express.

This pickup seems easier to live with than a 59 because the bass isn't as pronounced or boomy like a 59 can be. The WLH is like a smooth 59 with some dig-in grit. Also this pickup splits nicely with a slight power loss and still has a full sound.
          Wow dude, sounds good. I like the clean sound of the '59, but on overdrive its a little too scooped/ hollow sounding, and when you dig into it , it has this annoying transcient peak at the beggining of the note, kinda harsh, and your right about the bottom, and I play all mahogany body/neck with ebony fret board. So I really liked the demo that Duncan did with that blues dude .... I really wanted to know everyones opinion on the WLH necks in general, what to expect.
          DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Working...
          X