Got some Whole Lotta Humbuckers coming in today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some Whole Lotta Humbuckers coming in today

My "Whole Lotta Humbucker" set is coming in today. Super Stoked, will update after test run.

Re: Got some Whole Lotta Humbuckers coming in today

Enjoy. They're good.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I'm hoping they'll update the tone chart soon.

Comment

i'd like to see the tone chart too. i'd describe them as "what you wish 59's to be". the thing that strikes me the most with these pickups is the "hollow" sound that i hear from un-potted humbuckers. they are "open" sounding and very clear, but not sterile or harsh. they retain the PAF character, but somehow have their own thing going on. i would like the hear the neck pickup with a smooth A5 magnet like the 59 has, but i think it'll be a while before i experiment with that. i suspect the roughcast magnet has something to do with the high E and B strings being louder, and i am glad for that.

i will say that i don't think these pickups have much more output than 59's. i keep reading how these are hotter PAF's, but i don't think they are all that hot.
        I'd recommend to anyone on the fence about getting a set of these to do so. The 59 was always my "go-to" humbucker, but these are easily better in every way.

Comment

Interesting, so the bridge is a similar output to the 59? I find the 59's to be very "punchy" for a PAF sound. Everything from Gibson's BB's, to Dimarzio 36th, to Bonamassa buckers to Ants always had a similar attack and hollow nature.
          The 59's sounded kind of like huge single
          Coils to me. Punchy and glassy without the same hollow, 3D depth thing....

So the WLH has the hollow thing, what's the attack like?

Comment

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post
            Interesting, so the bridge is a similar output to the 59? I find the 59's to be very "punchy" for a PAF sound. Everything from Gibson's BB's, to Dimarzio 36th, to Bonamassa buckers to Ants always had a similar attack and hollow nature.

What guitar do you have your 59 in? I would never call it glassy. Could also be a different EQ style. I agree that it punches.

I love being punched by my 59n in me Ibby Semi Hollow
            -IM

Comment

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post

to my ears the output is similar. the biggest difference in output is that i can get a cleaner sound by gently picking, and get some grit by digging in, more so than i remember with the 59, but they aren't high output. it's been a while since i played with 59s, but they were my favorite for a long time so they are my best reference for a PAF.

they do have that hollow sounding thing going on, very transparent and responsive while not being bland or sterile (choose your adjective). they are also very sensitive to height adjustment. it took me a while to find the right height for each pickup, but when i did, the chirp or "oop" (again, choose your adjective) came in spades. These are very much PAF's to my ears, but different somehow.

to sum up, i am very happy with my purchase. i had gotten to the point where i was sick of reading descriptions and listening to lousy demos trying to decide which pickups to replace my dimarzios and bought these on a whim. i just knew i wanted PAFs and these deliver the goods in spades with that extra something that i can't seem to describe. if you are thinking about getting them, do it. i can't imagine you'd be dissappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
                What guitar do you have your 59 in? I would never call it glassy. Could also be a different EQ style. I agree that it punches.

I love being punched by my 59n in me Ibby Semi Hollow
                Heritage H150. Basically an R9. Extremely well built specimen.

Comment

They sound pretty neat! Just found this video HERE....

You could say.... very Pagey sound (LOL)
                  Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
                  Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                  X