Questions about Alnico II Pro and Pearly Gates Neck HBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Alnico II Pro and Pearly Gates Neck HBs

This thread won't last long! For the forum bros who have or have had these, I have two questions for both of these pickups. Basically, at some time in the next six months I am planning on buying an APH-1 Alnico II Pro HB for the neck slot and an SHPG-1 Pearly Gates for the neck slot. So, here are my two questions:

1.) Do these pickups come stock with long legs on the base plate, or short legs?

2.) Do these pickups come stock with 4 conductor wire or single conductor?

That's it. That's all I need to know to ensure I don't screw something up. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer these questions.
    MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Re: Questions about Alnico II Pro and Pearly Gates Neck HBs

The alnico 2 pro standard neck is short legs - 4 conductor. I'm pretty sure the slash pickups are long leg - single conductor.

The pearly gates I have no experience with but I am pretty sure it is the same, short legs and 4-conductor on standard models.

Comment

The SD specs & dimension sheet for the A2P - http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ph1_alnico_ii/

The SD specs & dimension sheet for the PG - http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...pg1_pearly_ga/

Both are 4-conductor with short legs.
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Thanks guys! That is some good news for me.

Comment

What kind of guitar? To me, PGN's are pretty warm in LP's and don't have enough high end. I'd like them better in brighter guitars. I get more treble out of my neck A2P than with a PGN. My favorite Duncan PAF, neck or bridge, are Seths, which have a good amount of treble and clarity in the neck, and a relatively warm bridge; the best of both worlds.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

You can get them with long legs at no additional charge, unless they have changed things in the last couple of years.

I prefer the APII's and have those in 4 of my LP's. I've also got a PG set in one and a Seth set in another. The PG's seem to get just a bit nastier sounding and the Seths seem to be a bit more loose and open sounding but they are all kind of close in tone since they are all A2 PAFish style pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              What kind of guitar? To me, PGN's are pretty warm in LP's and don't have enough high end. I'd like them better in brighter guitars. I get more treble out of my neck A2P than with a PGN. My favorite Duncan PAF, neck or bridge, are Seths, which have a good amount of treble and clarity in the neck, and a relatively warm bridge; the best of both worlds.
              Well the PGn is gonna go into my Standard Strat. I have Ant HBs in there now that are a tad bright. I have a PGb, trem-spaced, lying around so I am gonna try it in that guitar. If it works, than I'm gonna yank the neck ant too and buy a PGn to round out the set. It's poplar w/maple neck and sports a 300k Linear Volume w/2 500k Audio Taper tones and .047 orange drops. This should work for the PGb as the last guitar it was in was 250ks w/.047s and I liked the tone. We'll see. The Ant HBs will then make their way to my Epi Dot.

The A2P is what I think I am gonna put in my upcoming Strat build. Swamp ash body, maple neck, rosewood board. Bridge will be a WLH Sh-18b. Electronics will be 500ks all around w/linear on the volume and individual audio taper tones. Caps will be .022 orange drops.

Comment

SLashAP2> Standard APII

But I like everything Seymour makes in A2 neck hummers. I have had the PGn in a few guitars, great pickup if you like a thick neck tone under gain...same with the standard AP2. The Slash AP2 is clearer and less midrangey than any of them (more like a bigass Strat/Humbucker crossbreed, not P90ish though..it is its own thing), and Seth the next runner up in the clarity department.

If you need clearer chording with crunchy amps-Slash and Seth...just up the gain for leads and they thicken right up.

Edit- saw you felt Ants are bright. All PAFs are bright..that is by design. especially bridge versions. The thickness of the PGn mids may help you out..same with the standard AP2. But they are all bright.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                X