banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dark/mellow bridge pickup that's not too hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark/mellow bridge pickup that's not too hot.

I'm looking for a bridge pickup for a semi-hollow Schecter TSH-1 (the original model from the late 90s not the modern one with the larger body.)

I have a cheap Wilkinson mini-humbucker in the neck, which I love and am not looking to replace, but the guitar has a naturally bright sound and all the bridge pickups I have tried have been a bit thin and ice-picky.

So far I have tried a SD 59 and various (non SD) low output humbuckers with AII and AIII magnets. I have found them all a bit too thin and lacking midrange (though not lacking bass.)

I play mostly clean or just slightly overdriven stuff - think a jazz/blues type sound, just without actual jazz chords. So I don't want too much output, and I also don't want the bridge pickup to overwhelm the low output neck pickup.

I'm wondering if a Custom Custom might be what I am looking for, or maybe a 59 with an AII magnet.

Re: Dark/mellow bridge pickup that's not too hot.

Then your best bet is probably the CC.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

CC, no question.

Comment

I agree that the CC may be your best bet.

But keep in mind that, generally speaking, the dark/mellow tones come from more winds in the pup which also (generally) gives you more output as well. And in that respect, the CC is a compromise in tone and output. "Dark/mellow"? Yes. But the CC is a very lifeless/flat sounding pup.

IMO the bridge pup with the richest, darkest, most mellow tone (with great mids) is the Alt8. But it is pretty high output and in order to get sparkling cleans you need to roll off the vol pot a bit. However, it has an amazing rich and mellow tone and still has some high-end sparkle which, IMO, the CC lacks. Putting an A4 magnet in the Alt8 will dramatically lower the output and even make it more mellow.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I agree that the CC may be your best bet.

But keep in mind that, generally speaking, the dark/mellow tones come from more winds in the pup which also (generally) gives you more output as well. And in that respect, the CC is a compromise in tone and output. "Dark/mellow"? Yes. But the CC is a very lifeless/flat sounding pup.

IMO the bridge pup with the richest, darkest, most mellow tone (with great mids) is the Alt8. But it is pretty high output and in order to get sparkling cleans you need to roll off the vol pot a bit. However, it has an amazing rich and mellow tone and still has some high-end sparkle which, IMO, the CC lacks. Putting an A4 magnet in the Alt8 will dramatically lower the output and even make it more mellow.
          I would also think Custom Custom.

I have only heard an alt 8 for a few hours in a friend's guitar, but I actually found it to be kind of fizzy. I was actually surprised how much like a JB it sounded rather than sounding darker. Maybe I need to have him pull that guitar for me to try the alt 8 a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Grindspine View Post
            I would also think Custom Custom.

I have only heard an alt 8 for a few hours in a friend's guitar, but I actually found it to be kind of fizzy. I was actually surprised how much like a JB it sounded rather than sounding darker. Maybe I need to have him pull that guitar for me to try the alt 8 a little.
            Yeah it is a bit "fizzy" sounding due to its high output (A8 mag in 17-18k), but an A4 reduces that quite a bit. An A4 in the CC would help it a lot as well, by putting a little more sparkle back into it.

Comment

CC or PG

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                CC or PG

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk
                PG is anything but dark.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                  PG is anything but dark.
                  I most certainly have to wholeheartedly agree with you there!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    I most certainly have to wholeheartedly agree with you there!
                    I support the Alt8. It saved a fizzy and stiff sounding Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus from being sold. The Alt8 with a gold cover pairs nicely with a Jazz neck. Go figure!
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Thanks for the answers so far. Something I hadn't thought about before is: what about a P-Rails? I'd probably have to get a Triple Shot to go with it for all the switching options, but I wonder if it might do what I want...

Comment

I love the P-Rails, it's in my #1 guitar among others. I mainly use the P-90 in it because it is very full sounding but with that P-90 snap. I rarely use the bucker/series mode because it is so dark...so it actually may be just the sound you are looking for. Plus it offers you three more sounds in the bargain...bucker/parallel, P-90, rail. I always use them with Triple Shot mounting rings.

Comment

Working...
                        X