banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your perfect Les Paul PAF sound like? Which model delivers it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your perfect Les Paul PAF sound like? Which model delivers it for you?

So... it seems I'm not the only one that's been on the hunt for my ideal Les Paul PAF sound. What do you have in your LP guitar right now? What have you tried before? What was different about the different sets?

For me: I like to rock... pretty hard but I also love the blues and some jazz. Mostly a bluesy hard rocker. I play through an Axe FX and don't need my pickups to give me gain. I appreciate a nice clear sound that can do almost anything with lots of dynamics. What's fun about PAF pickups is that there's not really a standard and we can mix/match to taste. I prefer to sound like I've got a big Tele with my les paul. If you've seen Pete Thorn's LP video on youtube, you know what I'm talking about.

My H150 came with 59's stock. They sound good. Actually, really good. They're just a little too clean and lacking mids for me. It's a very big sounding neck and almost like a big strat because of the scooped EQ. The bridge is also big, but kind of... nice and doesn't feel at home when I am using a Rectifier or Uberschall. Sounds pretty good with the lower gain stuff like the AC30 and a good plexi.

I've had Antiquities in a Les Paul. I loved the vintage vibe on these but always wanted a more powerful magnet. I think the sound of electronics on the fringe that these make is just so full of mojo and probably what most hardcore vintage PAF tone chasers are looking for. Many PAF on the market use aged magnets but this is the one with aged coils and you can sure hear it. Conversely, I think that the pickup always sounding like it's breaking up hurts the clarity on the cleans for me. Makes me want to try some Seth Lovers.

Recently, I've been playing the Bonamassa set for a while. I dig a lot of what's going on here. Something that's not mentioned very much about these is how damn dark the neck is. It's very jazzy clean. The bridge is much brighter with less bass and compliments the neck very well. Also, it seems to have some similar "electronics on the edge" vibe that the ants have but less of them. Again, clean sounds are a little muddy and lacking clarity like the antiquity.

This week I threw some Dimarzio 36th in my Paul. Bam. These things sound incredible. I was pretty surprised at how they seem to give me that overpowered antiquity sound I was looking for. Nice tight bass response and sweet highs with some of the vibe from that "electronic breakup" without the mud that comes with it. I absolutely love them. The only thing they don't do is "squish" the attack to give you some of the proper Slash style sounds. I'm pretty surprised that, to me, they're more dynamic than the Bonamassa and 59's in their ability to take it from clean to dirt on a Plexi or Matchless with pick attack alone.

If I'm looking for that big, open, super-dynamic sound that cuts and handles Fenders, Voxes, Plexis and Rectifiers equally well, I'm thinking the 36th is a keeper. I'll probably try out a Slash set because the description seems right up my alley but I do love me some Dimarzio 36th PAF models, even if they are parts accurate clones. Just the right punch, clarity, dynamics and open sound with "electronics breaking up" mixed together for me.

Has anyone compared them to the Slash Set or Pearly Gates? I do want to try those and will probably end up buying both models at some point.

Re: What's your perfect Les Paul PAF sound like? Which model delivers it for you?

I couldn't tell you much about comparing to the 36th pups, but the PG and '78 are what I would consider the ultimate PAFs. Both are outstanding, and just slightly different flavors. If you love flavorful mids, try a '78.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Re: What's your perfect Les Paul PAF sound like? Which model delivers it for you?

Seth's lead the pack. The degaussed A2's in Ant's just don't work for the tones I want (not enough high-end).

I like '59's and PG's, but not with the stock magnets. In stock form both have bridges that are pretty bright; PGN's are too warm for my tastes, and '59N's can be boomy.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

In my R8 I have a Seth and a '78. When I got it there was a pair of Ants installed. The Ants sounded GREAT but I wanted a little bit more focus and a little less air. The Ants literally made it sound like an old guitar. I wanted it to sound like a NEW old guitar, thus me going the route I went. I went with Seth parts (butyrate, now wax, and long legs) trying to be authentic and capture as much old soul as possible. So for me the set I have is the best picks out there, I feel like. The only thing that gives me pause is the Greg Martin Psychobilly Buckers from Fralin.
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I love my neck 59. I can only assume that the bridge model is just as good.
          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Seth's lead the pack. The degaussed A2's in Ant's just don't work for the tones I want (not enough high-end).

I like '59's and PG's, but not with the stock magnets. In stock form both have bridges that are pretty bright; PGN's are too warm for my tastes, and '59N's can be boomy.
            Then you probably wouldn't like the Bonamassa set. The neck is very dark but also warm and smooth. Smokey would be the right word.

I'll definitely be getting a Seth Set at some point. What kind of music do you play? A particular amp? Are you using a Les Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
              In my R8 I have a Seth and a '78. When I got it there was a pair of Ants installed. The Ants sounded GREAT but I wanted a little bit more focus and a little less air. The Ants literally made it sound like an old guitar. I wanted it to sound like a NEW old guitar, thus me going the route I went. I went with Seth parts (butyrate, now wax, and long legs) trying to be authentic and capture as much old soul as possible. So for me the set I have is the best picks out there, I feel like. The only thing that gives me pause is the Greg Martin Psychobilly Buckers from Fralin.
              I'll bet I would really dig that set. Do you find the Seth/78 set still sounds "open" like the Ants do? I'm quickly finding that it's one of my favorite characteristics of a PAF set that fits my taste.

Comment

Alrighty, a little update to my original post: I went down to a store that stocks Duncan today to see if they might have a set of Seths, PG or Slash I might take home. Slash was what they had in stock and now that I've got a few hours on them I'm ready to share impressions:

Obviously, they can certainly nail Slash. I learned night train and sweet child to riff out the goods. I appreciate Slash but I wouldn't name him as a top influence like I would Page. Please take what comes as a grain of salt and ill try to be objective but I don't think these are my kind of tone.

If I were to quickly summarize their attitude, it would certainly and aptly be that of a velvet revolver. Smooth smooth velvety smooth with attitude. Now, the attitude rocks and it can certainly rock hard but they don't growl or bark, they're not smokey or hollow. It's really quite different from what I've experienced in PAF land. I think the description of "round" with spongy bass response is accurate. The mids are so thick that while they're dynamic and response to the pick, are also kind of compressed. The treble is very present but just so damn smooth it's jarring for someone who lives for a bark and growl. I think it's the ultra smooth treble, ultra thick mids and spongy bass that make it sound compressed even though there are picking dynamics galore.

I had the Bonamassa set in earlier today and they had a smokey growl in the neck and bark in the bridge that I find I really enjoy. They also had a somewhat spongy bass but definitely less so.
                The Bonamassa bridge also has an open sound with clearer highs and less bass. Under distortion, the bonamassa bridge is clearer and more aggressive yet less big sounding. Probably the A3 magnet contributes to it taking up less space in the EQ.

Another big difference between the sets is how much more pronounced and immediate the attack is on the Slash set. I think that the immediate attack is a big part of the attitude that the Slash set exhibits in it's Rock and Roll attitude. The Bonamassa set while having a dark/smokey neck and strong/clear bark in the bridge has a less immediate or perhaps punchy attack. Both sets have what I can only describe as the A2 "squish" in their attack. IMHO, the best way to hear is the opening lick to sweet child of mine: the A2 based PAF sets I've played have done a pretty admirable job at the lick while the attack on the A5 sets hasn't been quite right.

Comment

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post
                  Then you probably wouldn't like the Bonamassa set. The neck is very dark but also warm and smooth. Smokey would be the right word.

I'll definitely be getting a Seth Set at some point. What kind of music do you play? A particular amp? Are you using a Les Paul?
                  I play blues, especially British blues, and classic rock. Late 1960's / early '70's is my favorite era. I use a variety of amps and/or pedals; I'm after a warm, crunchy tone, with a lot of mids and low-end, and just enough treble to have a sharp, but not thin, high-end. I love LP's and PAF's are ideal PU's for them. Because of the way I EQ my amps, and some of the inherently warm type of guitars I have (LP's, 335's, etc) I don't get enough high-end from some neck PU's, like PGN's. In LP's I'll use one or two 1-meg pots in the neck slot, use brighter magnets, wire it for spin-a-split, or use HB's with unbalanced coils...anything to get a sharper high-end for the neck. Just don't care for warm, smooth neck PU's; a quirk of mine.

I go the other direction with bridges and use warmer magnets and 250K pots to get the treble to a manageable level. Basically moving the PU's EQ's closer to each other. They still will have different sound characteristics no matter what you do. I hear bright bridge PU's as thin and piercing; I want mine to be full and hard hitting.
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Here's the PAFs I've had in various LPs:

In Epi LP:
                    Screamin' Demon (b)/Pearly Gates (n) - I actually really liked this combo, it seemed really versatile. The Demon to my ears sounds like a PAF with more output and a bit more treble bite whereas the Pearly Gates wasn't overly dark or muffled in the bass and had enough treble to not be too smooth (something I didn't like about the AIIPs I tried before).

In Gibson LP Standard:
                    59s (n + b) - I HATED these pickups with a passion in this particular guitar. The neck pickup seemed overly boomy and flubby in the bass with an almost 'muffled' sound and the bridge pickup seemed too bright and both lacked mids and were too scooped sounding to my ears.

Seth Lovers (n + b) - I really liked pretty much everything about these pickups. They were open and airy sounding, both had good treble but not shrill or ice pick-y and had enough bass and mids to sound full but not too boomy.

Bareknuckle Mules with AIV magnets - These are currently in my LP and will be for the forseeable future They're very neutral sounding, no frequency in particular seems to dominate the sound and they have better clarity and an airy-ness to them that I've ever heard in any other PAF type pickup. The clarity thing is a bit odd at 1st and takes a while to get used to; it's almost like you've turned the gain down on your amp as you can hear every note in every chord, even under high gain. I notice this even more so when I switch back to my Dimarzio loaded Strat and Firebird and Duncan loaded Jackson, the same amount of clarity just isn't there. Both still have their place in my guitars though.

Comment

Antiquities for a bit more kick and Lollar imperials for a more mellow sound.

78 model for a more aggressive sound, but you can't take it to random jam sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        78 model for a more aggressive sound, but you can't take it to random jam sessions.

Why not? What would rule it out from taking to a random jam session?
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          Why not? What would rule it out from taking to a random jam session?
                          Possibly local ordinances forbidding it?

Comment

OP:

I can tell you are going after the Jimmy Page sound and I think get what you are talking about. The 'big tele with a les paul' thing, are you talking about something like this?

Thankfully SD has a versatile, dynamic, PAF style pickup that can rock with enough mids. It has four conductors so you can do some alternate wirings, and guess who used it? It is called the Whole Lotta Humbucker.

If you're local SD dealer doesn't have it in stock you can have them order it for you. If they refuse to do that shop somewhere else if possible or call up SD about it.

Hope this helps. Please post back so we can continue to provide any help needed.

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                            I play blues, especially British blues, and classic rock. Late 1960's / early '70's is my favorite era. I use a variety of amps and/or pedals; I'm after a warm, crunchy tone, with a lot of mids and low-end, and just enough treble to have a sharp, but not thin, high-end. I love LP's and PAF's are ideal PU's for them. Because of the way I EQ my amps, and some of the inherently warm type of guitars I have (LP's, 335's, etc) I don't get enough high-end from some neck PU's, like PGN's. In LP's I'll use one or two 1-meg pots in the neck slot, use brighter magnets, wire it for spin-a-split, or use HB's with unbalanced coils...anything to get a sharper high-end for the neck. Just don't care for warm, smooth neck PU's; a quirk of mine.

I go the other direction with bridges and use warmer magnets and 250K pots to get the treble to a manageable level. Basically moving the PU's EQ's closer to each other. They still will have different sound characteristics no matter what you do. I hear bright bridge PU's as thin and piercing; I want mine to be full and hard hitting.
                            You know what would fix your problem about dark neck pickups? A strat...

Then you could use the middle pickup for a warmer sound than the bridge pickup, or even do something as simple as getting a warmer bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                              You know what would fix your problem about dark neck pickups? A strat...
                              Let's not get carried away with crazy suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X