banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, so the Seths are really nice, but.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so the Seths are really nice, but.......

I think I'd like something a little more aggressive, and maybe a bit tighter. I'm really starting to open up to using a PAF type pup, even with high gain. The open-ness, clarity and growl are outstanding. I think I'm taking a real, honest liking to A2 magnet pickups

I suppose I could change the magnets, but I REALLY don't want to disturb these guys. I think they should be enjoyed as they are...though Kojak's suggestion of A3n/A5Ub sounds tempting.

Let's see, for the neck, I like the Seth MUCH better than say, the 59 or Gibson 57C, and maybe a hair more than the 490R. Flame all you want, I think the 490 is a good neck pickup. While not as clear as the Seth, is has a more 'liquid' or 'smokey' character to it that works well for me. The Seth by comparison has it beat on clarity, and is much more percussive. What Duncan PAF might give me the mix of clarity from the Seth, but the smokiness of the 490?

The Bridge. I like the big, open feel. It has a lot more crunch than I would have thought, though I could use some more. The clarity is outstanding. Harmonics are really nice. All I would need improvement on in the bridge is maybe some more grit, grind, bite, aggression.

I have been really contemplating either the Slash set or the Pearly Gates for a long time...before the Seths even crossed my path. Would one of those offerings give me what I'm looking for?

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Re: Okay, so the Seths are really nice, but.......

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
    What Duncan PAF might give me the mix of clarity from the Seth, but the smokiness of the 490?
    An A2 Jazz Neck, setup closer to the strings than normal will get you in the ballpark of the description given.

The APH1N is a nice, smooth neck p'up; kinda an overweight Seth without the articulation.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 07-06-2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Maybe the Whole Lotta Humbucker set would be up your alley, as they're advertised as feeling a bit hotter and more "rock" than the average PAF set. You could also try a Pearly Gates set.

If you're open to magnet swapping (and I see that you're considering it) consider an A8 bridge, and A3/A4 neck '59 set. I have the A8/A4 set in my SG and use it for very high gain stuff. The bridge has definitely got bite and more aggression than stock, it's also tighter, more even, more gritty, but still within the "hot PAF" output range. The neck with an A4 is warm but very very soulful, articulate and has nice attack, without being too bright - not scooped or boomy like a stock '59n. If you wanted it brighter, an A3 would probably be the ticket, though that'd reduce the output as well by a couple of hairs.

Personally I couldn't give a rat's arse about UOA5. I find it's got pretty weak character. Kinda boring, and I don't like the way it responds to my picking dynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
        Personally I couldn't give a rat's arse about UOA5. I find it's got pretty weak character. Kinda boring, and I don't like the way it responds to my picking dynamics.
        This magnet, more than any other I know, needs the right height to the strings to deliver. Sounds excellent in Ants and Seths; my #2 335 copy has a UOA5 Ant set and it sounds anything but boring, and the "chirp" is to die for.

Of course, depending on what kind of music you play, they may be other better choices.

The A3/UOA5 combo is all 'bout nuance and finesse of detail, the A4/A8 is about making an statement with authority.

HTH,

Comment

Slash set is not as midrangey as Seths or PG. It is a bit punchier than both, but it also has more clarity and detail..it also much more articulate..especially under gain. It does not get tubby like a Seth or PG. Slashers also have a very fast single coil like attack and dynamics. PG are pretty lazy feeling by comparison.

I think the PGb is alittle raunchier and brighter than the slash or seth.....but I find them very particular about the guitar it is in. Neck seems to be far more useful in a wider array of guitars.

I have clips of the Slash set in my 335 under varying amounts of gain (i play classic rock/metal) if you want to hear them, but I also think the Whole Lottas will probably be a good bet based on the banter. The Slash set is really about YOUR aggressive technique,.and your amp/dirt box aggression.
          Last edited by JeffB; 07-07-2013, 05:50 AM.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Slash set is not as midrangey as Seths or PG. It is a bit punchier than both, but it also has more clarity and detail..it also much more articulate..especially under gain. It does not get tubby like a Seth or PG. Slashers also have a very fast single coil like attack and dynamics. PG are pretty lazy feeling by comparison.

I think the PGb is alittle raunchier and brighter than the slash or seth.....but I find them very particular about the guitar it is in. Neck seems to be far more useful in a wider array of guitars.
            I have clips of the Slash set in my 335 under varying amounts of gain (i play classic rock/metal) if you want to hear them, but I also think the Whole Lottas will probably be a good bet based on the banter. The Slash set is really about YOUR aggressive technique,.and your amp/dirt box aggression.
            Right, the guitar. It's my LP Custom. It's HEAVY at around 12lbs+, ebony board. It is very resonant and when strummed unplugged, it has a very bright, open acoustic tone.

For reference, the bridge Duncans I have used are the JB, DD, Custom, C5, 59 and now the Seth.

The JB has always been my favorite. It's got a good amount of bite and decent clarity and cut, but without being stiff. The DD is a close second with the Custom right behind. The 59 wasn't too bad, but it just didn't seem special. The Seth by comparison is a much livelier pickup, but also with better clarity. I couldn't stand the C5 at all.

LP Custom
            Greenbacks
            Boss SD-1

Comment

Sounds to me like you probably want to go the hot/heavy wind A5 PAFish route...Whole Lotta or the Brobucker bridge. Something with more mids (as it seems you prefer midrangey pickups)

If you are not opposed to going outside Seymours House...Rio Grande BBQ / TX.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

The more I have been reading, the more I have been thinking the WLH or Slash set would fit the bill. I was using a Zhangliquin Crushbucker for a while. On paper, it looks similar to the Bro. It's a really awesome pickup, but I think the high end can be a little too "polite". I have also heard that the Bro can have a "polite" top end under certain circumstances. I did like the bite of the 59, but it didn't have that nice harmonic "swirl" and overtones. The mids might have been a little too subdued. Does the WLH remedy that?

LP Custom
                Greenbacks
                Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  An A2 Jazz Neck, setup closer to the strings than normal will get you in the ballpark of the description given.
                  You mean an Alnico II Pro Neck?

But yes the Alnico II Pro Neck model (Slash or standard; would be great either way) would be good for the OP.

For the bridge a '59 would basically be the Seth Lover but with an A5 and wax potted. IF you are open to mag swapping go nuts with A2, A8, or even a ceramic in the '59.

If you want it to be more 'authentic' you could also try A3 and A4 (some original PAFs had these types of magnets, the most common being A4) along with the mags mentioned above.

Comment

Hi,
                    I had a Seth, needed more punch, MJ said try A5 mag. I took the A5 from my JB and that did it. I have 4 or 5 Seth L.'s in the bridge of all my guitars. Even paid $200.00 for a CS Seth zebra w/A5 mag. I have one that needs a Seth but can't afford one right now from CS so the guys at the forum (and women) suggested a '59 bridge zebra at regular prices. Good Call. Can't wait to see what happens w/new on line shop. My 2 cents on every Seth thread. Been playing 45 years or so. I'm not sure if playing the chords for "Gloria" count as they were shown to me. First solo I figured out was "kicks" by Paul Revere and the Raiders. 1965? Can't remember.
                    Steve Buffington.

Comment

Working...
                    X