banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSH Middle Pickup Inquiry, Please Need Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSH Middle Pickup Inquiry, Please Need Help.

Dear Forum ,

I need you help about HSH Middle Single Coil pickup , I will use a 5 way selector switch with auto-split wiring for the middle pickup with a coil from the bridge pickup(SH6) at position 2 and a coil at the neck pickup(SH2) at position 4 , should i get the middle single coil hum-cancelling ( like STK-4) or should i get a standard humming single coil like SLS-1 LipStick so that it will cancel the hum when auto split with the coils of the bridge and the neck?

As I think the STK-4 which is hum-cancelling , when auto-split with the coils , there will be noise from the split poles of the Bridge and neck and not from the middle pickup itself.

what do you think guys? need your opinions.

thanks cheers.

Re: HSH Middle Pickup Inquiry, Please Need Help.

you could get a stk4 and have it auto split in the notch positions as well so you would be hum free in all positions

Comment

Try a duckbucker in the middle. It's humbucking and works well for positions 2/4.

Comment

Depends. If you are more into "authentic" strat sounds I would go with a traditional SC. Its rare to use a middle SC by itself right? If you want quiet at all costs then something like a Vintage Rail.

I use a PGn / Vintag Rail / 59b in my HSH. I add switching to bump the humbuckers into parallel which lowers the output to better match the VRail and still have everything hum cancelling

Comment

Thank you guys , Any Other Suggestion for a Middle Position ( Must have an alnico magnet not a ceramic)

Comment

If you put a stack in the middle and then split the humbuckers in the notch positions, then yes you will have hum.

HOWEVER. If you also split the stack in the notch positions (by grounding the red wire) then the single coil that remains will hum-cancel with the slug coil of the humbucker. So you can get hum cancelling in those positions.

BUT. If you're never planning on using the middle pickup on its own, then you probably don't need this extra complication. In this case you can get something like an SSL-1, and it will hum-cancel with the slug coils of your two humbuckers.

If you get a RWRP middle pickup then it will hum-cancel with the screw coils of your buckers instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
              If you put a stack in the middle and then split the humbuckers in the notch positions, then yes you will have hum.

HOWEVER. If you also split the stack in the notch positions (by grounding the red wire) then the single coil that remains will hum-cancel with the slug coil of the humbucker. So you can get hum cancelling in those positions.

BUT. If you're never planning on using the middle pickup on its own, then you probably don't need this extra complication. In this case you can get something like an SSL-1, and it will hum-cancel with the slug coils of your two humbuckers.

If you get a RWRP middle pickup then it will hum-cancel with the screw coils of your buckers instead.
              +1
              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
              X