Seymour Duncan JB in an SG??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan JB in an SG??

I bought a new SG Standard, with the re-designed '61 specs, and 60's slim taper neck. I HATE '57 Classics, and have a new JB I tried in a chunkier, non-weight relieved Les Paul Traditional. Sucked in that guitar, (everything sucked in it, and I hated the HUGE neck profile - sold it).

JB a better fit in the SG? It's under 7lbs., where the LP was 10.

Re: Seymour Duncan JB in an SG??

Not really, JB's sometimes have problems in mahogany (ice pick spike and flabby low end). Since you already have the JB, you can try it. Certainly not worth going out and buying a JB for it. There's better PU's for SG's. A few years ago, the top recommendation here for SG's was a C5 and a '59N. That changed to a C8 and '59N, which has a fuller bridge tone.

Another pair I really like in SG's is the Rio Grande BBQ set, warm and articulate. And of course, PAF's in SG's are never a bad idea.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

It is worth a shot. I would try a Custom Custom first but that is just me. I see a JB having the potential to work very well in an SG, just I recommend trying all 3 pot values (500K, 300K, and 250K) with the JB before giving up on it.

Comment

JB "Tend" not to work well in Mahogany. As Blueman335 said. Having said that I use a JB in a Mahogany IBBY SA. And I love it. Maybe the scale length makes a diff. But as you do have one around use it and see, you may love it.
        Last edited by Jocelyn; 07-10-2013, 12:25 AM.
        sigpic
        Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
        JFG Flying V,
        "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
        John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Worth a shot,I suppose...
          "Scalloped & Stickered"
          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Best advice is to try it and see if you like the JB. It's very picky about the guitars it works in. Also a good suggestion to give a 250k vol pot a try. The C8 is always a good match for an SG. I personally haven't found the CC useful for anything (except as a starting point to add an A8).

Another pup that is magnificent in an SG is a P-90. There are many choices for hummer-sized P-90's...I really like the Mean 90 by GFS (and it's half the price of any other pup you would want to put in it).
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's not that JB universally doesn't work in mahogany bodied guitars, it's just that sometimes, it produces a sound that for some reason or another, might not appeal to your ears (or mine).

But you'll never know until you try it. SGs, with their thinner bodies have a different tonal palette than most other mahogany guitars which usually have thicker bodies or more wood mass in the case of an Explorer for example. The Les Paul especially so.

There are many players that swear by a JB in a big slab of mahogany, Alex Skolnick of Testament for one (he's an SD endorser btw)

Comment

The SG is a mid-focused guitar, and the JB is a mid-focused pickup. It would be overkill I imagine. Same goes for the CustomCustom. A5 magnet pickups that are a little mid-scooped do well in an SG. The 59, Custom5, and Gibson 498t sound good in the bridge. A lot of people like the C8, but I found it too aggressive.

Comment

Richard Parker, IIRC has one in his SG. Might wanna PM him. He has poste dclips...for some things it sounds great, but overall I am in the "midrange overkill" camp.

I get my midrange from amp and speakers. I prefer the guitar to be ...cleaner...if you will.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Since you already have the JB, try it and see.

But I'm definitely willing to bet it ain't gonna sound good. If you don't like it, figure out WHAT you are now liking about it, and you can swap out the magnet accordingly.

If you still are not liking it with multiple magnet configurations, I'd recommend a DD, Custom, C8, Super Distortion, BBQ, or Tom Anderson H3 or H3+.
                    (of course this all depends on the music you play which you did not mention in your post)

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                      I would try a Custom Custom first but that is just me.
                      I've been using a CC in my '61 reissue for a while now and it sounds real good. Nice midrange and top.
                      "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

It works just fine. I use it in my SG. you can dial in anything you like.

Comment

I dont love the JB in my SG, but you might like it. Its a little too mushy for my taste, I played a Dimebucker recently and thought that might be a better fit (for me)

Comment

Working...
                          X