PATB-2b for Southern Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATB-2b for Southern Rock

I bought a Parallel Axis Distortion PATB-2, but did it by mistake (the story's too long). I will put it in a PRS-style Carvin CS6M, and will play Stoner/Doom like Electric Wizard, Sleep etc. through a low-watt Matamp. I consulted a friend if I should return it to the shop and he said yes, claiming that the pickup is ****ty. I can't just try the pickup and then return it to the shop here in Russia.
    So what's your opinion on this pickup?

Re: PATB-2b for Southern Rock

I play this type of music too, and with a high watt Matamp clone (Hovercraft Andromeda)

I think that pickup is too aggressive and tight for this music.
    I'm actually moving away from high output pups for this type of music in favor of medium output pups and PAFs.

Comment

Yeah, I originally wanted a Pearly Gates set with 250k pots. I think I should return the PATB-2.

Comment

I may get the new WLH

Comment

It's not ****ty by any means, but it's more of a clear distortion/metal pickup than what you're going for. Return it, but I wouldn't recommend 250 pots with a PG.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
            It's not ****ty by any means, but it's more of a clear distortion/metal pickup than what you're going for. Return it, but I wouldn't recommend 250 pots with a PG.
            Why not? I thought it might get too bright with 500k pots?

Comment

Agree with Izzo. It is a great pick up (I use one), but may not be what you're looking for. Under normal circumstances I'd say try it and even install a coil split and see how it goes. You may be surprised. However, in your situation that may be a big risk and you're probably better off returning it and getting what you want.
              Last edited by Jeff5; 07-10-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
                Agree with Izzo. It is a great pick up (I use one), but may not be what you're looking for. Under normal circumstances I'd say try it and even install a coil split and see how it goes. You may be surprised. However, in your situation that may be a big risk and you're probably better off returning it and getting what you want.
                Could you please tell me what this pickup sounds like? For example, is it compressed or not, what frequencies are emphasized etc.
                Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by terribleguitar View Post
                  Could you please tell me what this pickup sounds like? For example, is it compressed or not, what frequencies are emphasized etc.
                  Thanks in advance!
                  Think of a more compressed, balllsier SH6 with more mids and slightly less treble.

Comment

I used to have an SH-6 in a Fender Strat... Shame I can't remember how it sounded.
                    But anyway, thank you very much.

What would you recommend to me then?

Comment

It is definitely compressed. It's high output but doesn't push an amp TOO hard. I can get the clean channel on my Triaxis to break up if I slam the strings but if I control my technique my cleans don't distort. It is almost a cross between the JB/Distortion/Custom. It has singing leads somewhat like JB and is smooth on the top end like the Custom. It doesn't have the high end "fizz" that the Distortion has which is probably why I can't get along with one. However, it has the crunch and tightness of the Distortion, albeit with more bass and a bit less treble. It is a big sounding, beefy pick up. It also doesn't seem to color your sound too badly so that the tone of your guitar and amp will come through pretty clearly. It is a really cool high output pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
                        I think that pickup is too aggressive and tight for this music.
                        I love agressive and tight pups!

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
                        Think of a more compressed, balllsier SH6 with more mids and slightly less treble.
                        That nails it. I really like the PATB-2 for high gain playing. It's powerful yet smooth. Not recommendable if you want a low/mid gain pup. Very recommendable if you like high gain pups.

If you're going for a PG, great for what you describe, let me tell you that last week I installed an A8 in one of em pups and it sounded GREAT. That is only if you feel that you need a touch of more power from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitaraxz View Post

If you're going for a PG, great for what you describe, let me tell you that last week I installed an A8 in one of em pups and it sounded GREAT. That is only if you feel that you need a touch of more power from it.
                          Did the A8 make the midrange too spikey? Can you elaborate on how else the A8 affected the EQ?

Comment

May be worth trying it wired in parallel...
                            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I've got a buddy who does stoner/ doom metal, and the Custom that he has in his guitar is perfect for it. The Custom is looser than the PATB, and in the Carvin you're talking about, it's a good fit. I use the regular distortion, and that's a hell of a metal pickup, but waaaay too compressed for the bands and styles your talking about. If you were going for a fast style, that would be different, but stoner and doom is a more sloppy style of playing (not bad just little more thoughtful), where as my style is just balls to the wall aggression.

If you are willing to go with another company other than Duncan, might I recommend the Lace Hemi? I've played them in a used SG that was at the local shop, and they are perfect for what you want.
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X