banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with epi sg-400 worn pickup change? (just curious)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with epi sg-400 worn pickup change? (just curious)

I've bought this Epiphone sg400 worn, actually I didn't need it but it was beautiful, the hardware and setup were ok and it was a bargain.

I haven't heard this guitar in band situation yet but acoustically it sounds good, with a loud and warm tone, the stock pickups (alnico classic A5 I believe, 13.6k bridge, 8.6k neck), in home situation, with my little peavey c30, sound nice, especially the one at the neck (a bit 'dull' anyway).
    I haven't understood the bridge well, I'm waiting for the 'live' test to judge it but it seems good but less musical than the neck, a bit hot too.

I was just curious if anyone has this guitar and tried different pickups in it, any opinion is welcomed.

thank you

Re: Any experience with epi sg-400 worn pickup change? (just curious)

It's got the old Epi PU's, not the upgraded ones. You're probably going to want to change them out. A good set of PAF's in an SG is never a bad idea.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Is the PRO version so different (apart the 4 conductors thing I read on the epiphone site)?

BTW, I have a spare Mean 90 neck around, I was thinking about trying in it there moving the hb neck in bridge position, it's such a beautiful pickup, it's too bad it remains unused in a drawer

Comment

Sounds like you really like that neck pup sound, but if you move the neck pup to the bridge position, it is not going to sound the same. It will sound brighter and thinner. However, the Mean 90 neck actually sounds pretty good in the bridge...nice and snappy with some good P-90 bite.

I have never liked the stock Epi pups, especially the bridge pups. If I were you, I'd leave the neck pup alone (since you already know you like it) and replace the bridge with the Mean 90. I've got a couple of my Epis set up with Mean 90 in the bridge and hummer in the neck and they're killer.

P-90 and SG are made for each other.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Fact is I generally really like a lot a p90 in neck position, more than humbucker, but in bridge position the p90 always sounds strange to my ears, in every guitar I tried.
          Also, you confirm this, I've often been said P90s and SG is a good marriage, the neck could sound killer.
          I think, however, I'll give a try with the setup you suggested.

Comment

I put a set of '59s in my G400.

The stock pickups weren't the pro versions, but they were of the more recent (2009 as I recall) non-pro stuff that wasn't HORRIBLE like the old non-pro stuff. They sounded quite nice, and very usable, if a little bit lacking in the detail/clarity department. I actually really liked the voicing of the neck pickup as well.

The 59 neck sounded a bit too scooped/boomy for my tastes, and the bridge was a touch too bright, so I ended up swapping the magnets to A4 (neck) and A8 (bridge), which fixed those problems. The '59s really retained the character of the axe, but boosted the level of clarity, detail and toneful goodness while the mag swaps evened out the EQ.

I'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Ok, tried with band and a big Marshall... ouch! I had a completely wrong opinion. Neck pickup is boomy as hell at high volume and very unclear, bridge pickup is decent (I expected it was the worst but I was wrong) but not so much inspiring, luckily the guitar is really playable so pickup swapping is worth the work.

First of all I'll change the neck one with the Mean 90, then I think I'll try at the bridge some gfs paf I have around just to ear if the direction is right.

Comment

I have that exact same guitar (in cherry) for Eb Standard and Drop Db. Scrap the stock pups. You will not regret it. I did so because they were just too dull as you said. No life from what I could hear. I did and the guitar came to life. It's so playable. Really good job on it Epi.

I don't know what your playing, but I'm using a 59 in the neck of my guitars with a Distortion in the bridge. Great combo. If you are looking at a more vintage sound, I can only assume that the Vintage Blues set (the 59 neck and bridge pups) will sound awesome based on my impression on the neck pup alone.
                Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                X