banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What SD pickup is similar to the Gibson 498T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What SD pickup is similar to the Gibson 498T?

But with more output... I actually kinda dig the 498T but could use something hotter... Just curious if SD makes something similar?
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Re: What SD pickup is similar to the Gibson 498T?

The closest Duncan in terms of specs is probably the Custom 5. If you want something a bit hotter, try the Duncan Custom. Same wind as the Custom 5, but with a ceramic magnet for extra output, extra thump and more punchy mids.

Comment

498T's, and acouple other Gibsons HB's, have an unusual 'grainy' sound, that I've never heard in any other brand of PU. I put an A8 magnet in one of my 498T's, which gives it more output and more mids. Hits a lot harder.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        498T's, and acouple other Gibsons HB's, have an unusual 'grainy' sound, that I've never heard in any other brand of PU. I put an A8 magnet in one of my 498T's, which gives it more output and more mids. Hits a lot harder.

that would certainly be a cheaper alternative...
        "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

C5 sounds nothing like a 498T imo; it's very scooped, but the 498T has a big upper mid boost. JB would be more like a hotter 498T.

Comment

I would say at least try the Alnico 8. I put an A2 in my 498t and I love the way it's reacted (mellowing it out a bit). If you're going in the other direction, give it a try. I think a pickup with a winding as hot as the 498 will react marvelously to magnet with a hotter character.

Comment

I would try a ceramic or A8 to see if it preserves the character you like while increasing output. You might also be able to add helper magnets instead of spacers.
              Last edited by idsnowdog; 07-11-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Hell, I just like the 498T. It might be a little weaker than the JB but it's also tighter in the low end and doesn't turn to mush, sometimes. Even that gritty quality Blueman talked about is part of it's charm.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                  Even that gritty quality Blueman talked about is part of it's charm.
                  +1. It gives it character. I assume it's something Gibson's done intentionally. The 500T also has that, which makes it my favorite ceramic.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I think the grit has something to do with the alloy they use for their pole screws and slugs (same with DMZ). I swapped them on some Gibson hybrids I made and that grit is gonzo.

JB would be my call for closest in a Duncan.

Comment

The Duncan Custom is the only one I can think of that is a little similar. The Custom 5 and Demon don't really remind me of the 498t much.

Comment

Working...
                      X