Rewinding cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewinding cost

I have a dead strat pickup, what's the usual cost to rewind one and any suggestions on where to have it done? It's nothing special, but the set sounded decent before I pulled it out of the guitar.

Re: Rewinding cost

cost will depend on the winder. the duncan custom shop does rewinds if you cannot find someone locally

Comment

Contact Ken Currie at Rose Pickups. He made several sets for me and has done a lot of my rewind work. He'll work with you to get the sound you want out of it. He's a good guy, he does nice work, and he doesn't charge a fortune.

Comment

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
          I have a dead strat pickup, what's the usual cost to rewind one and any suggestions on where to have it done? It's nothing special, but the set sounded decent before I pulled it out of the guitar.
          There's no reason to think that by having it rewound it'll sound anything like it did before. That's a game changer. Why don't you get another one of the same kind?
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            There's no reason to think that by having it rewound it'll sound anything like it did before. That's a game changer. Why don't you get another one of the same kind?
            I agree. It likely will change the sound of the pickup.

Comment

I'd suspect that getting a pickup custom wound is often more expensive than getting a new non-booteek pickup.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

FWIW I have a Hofner bass that Seymour rewound the pickups for, and it sounds like a record.

I guess one question would be is cost more important or sound? The OP said 'nothing special' and 'sounded decent', so I suppose finding an equivalent off-the-shelf replacement would be the better option.

Comment

Considering the cost of rewinding a single coil pup, you could buy a new one...many to choose from in that price range. Maybe even one that sounds better than "decent".
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                    I'd suspect that getting a pickup custom wound is often more expensive than getting a new non-booteek pickup.
                    And on top of costing more, he might not like it as well.
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                      Have you got a pic of the pickup ,where the lead wires are soldered on , Its possible can be repaired without being rewound .

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                        For starters, usuaally a rewind won't cost anything near what a new pickup will cost you, whether it be a humbucker or single coil. I can speak from experience as I had a set of spare Duncan Designed 7-string humbuckers rewound from a guy locally, and it only cost me $110 for the set including shipping. Now compare that to an average of $75 or more per pickup (humbucker, singles are usually a little bit cheaper...), I saved about $75 as compared to buying a new set of Duncans or Dimarzios.

As for the end results, totally satisfied! The guy asked me all sorts of questions as to what I wanted out of them, what kind of guitar they were in and construction, and so on. He was able to keep and use the same magnets and pole pieces, but just rewound the coils and re-potted them. Well worth the money and now I'm not in a rush to buy 2 new sets of pickups for my ESP LTD Alex Wade sig - 1 set of Duncan Distortion 7's with the black metal covers, and 1 set of the new EMG 57-7 & 66-7's in the black chrome.

The guy that did mine, his name is Mike Jamgochian in West Chester, PA. His website is http://www.jgcpickups.com and he's got a really good and solid sounding review of a set of his pickups by The Tone King. The video can be found on YouTube if you look up JGC Pickups. Again, I'm totally thrilled with the set he did for me as well as the price, and can't believe how he nailed the sound I was looking for. So if your still curious, at least stop by his site, get his number or email and hit him up. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the results, trust me when I say it...

Comment

Ebay, nothing special, decent, under $20 all day.
                          6 pieces of wood with wires
                          1 big box with a bunch of little glass bottles & 2 big round black things
                          1 little red & white & black box with 2 little glass bottles that sits on
                          a wood box with 2 big round black things.
                          1 little black box with 2 slightly bigger black boxes under it.

Comment

Originally posted by Despised View Post
                            For starters, usuaally a rewind won't cost anything near what a new pickup will cost you, whether it be a humbucker or single coil. I can speak from experience as I had a set of spare Duncan Designed 7-string humbuckers rewound from a guy locally, and it only cost me $110 for the set including shipping. Now compare that to an average of $75 or more per pickup (humbucker, singles are usually a little bit cheaper...), I saved about $75 as compared to buying a new set of Duncans or Dimarzios.
                            His wasn't a Duncan to begin with, and he could buy a used one of the same kind for less than the cost of having a rewind, or just get a used Duncan or DiMarzio for around $30-40.

Comment

Working...
                            X