Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some "Warm" Humbuckers

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
    I went to the link of your band. Your band plays classic Rock and Blues, ( my fav Gen). As suggested above try the 250 k mode first. If it does not work then a pickup with A2 magnets will work. Putting an A2 in the JB is also a good option. But do the 250 k pot first.
    I ordered the 250K pots yesterday. For about $12 and a hour's worth of work it's certainly worth it. If it doesn't work, then I'll probably switch to the 59 in the neck position, and maybe the Pearly Gates in the bridge, and just sell the SH2 and SH4 as a set like they came to recoup some of my cost. the Air Norton someone else mentioned also looked interesting.

BTW - thanks for checking out the website!

Al

Comment

Seriously, try an A2 in the JB if the 250k ain't enough.

Comment

Like I said...JB with 250k pots.

Then JB with A2.

Don't get rid of the JB til you've tried both mods...you may just miss what you are looking for and go 'round in circles trying to find it and never getting there.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Like I said...JB with 250k pots.

Then JB with A2.

Don't get rid of the JB til you've tried both mods...you may just miss what you are looking for and go 'round in circles trying to find it and never getting there.
          That's good advice. The pots are on the way and should be here Thursday. I do not know if I will be able to get them installed before I leave for London on Saturday evening, so I might not be able to report back for a few weeks (London is work, not play...dang...). I've never changed magnets out before, but went on-line and saw a couple of examples and it doesn't look too difficult if you take your time and have the proper tools. As I'm an electrical engineer working in the forensics world the tools are not a problem. I'll just need to take it slowly if we get to that point. I'll report back when finished.

I'm certainly glad I discovered this forum. Much more helpful and informative than The Gear Page with respect to pickups. Thanks again to all!!!

Al

Comment

However, if you DO decide to get rid of it, let me know.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Well, got the 250K pots in. Knocked the output down a bit. Still "bright", but not as much so. Using my tone knob on 7 smooths it out some. Will go with this a while before I do the magnet swap, which I plan on doing. Changing the brass nut is probably a good idea as well. Thanks again to everyone for the ideas!! Sure looks like it's saved me some money on new pickups!!

BTW GuitarDoc - guitar is staying with me. sorry...:+)

Al

Comment

There is one more step you could take before magnet swapping or changing pickups, which is fairly easy.

Step one: Find an old-school coiled guitar cable.
                Step two: Plug it into your guitar and amp.

It may sound silly, but those old coil cables had really high capacitance and a tendency to roll off the high end, especially longer cable lengths.

Comment

^ Monster cables do the same. Just think, you could spend $50 on a cable, or be more than halfway to the cost of most Duncan pickups.

LP Custom
                  Greenbacks
                  Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                    ^ Monster cables do the same. Just think, you could spend $50 on a cable, or be more than halfway to the cost of most Duncan pickups.
                    I don't know the cost of old, coil style guitar cables, but I would assume they don't cost what Monster cables do.

Besides, it also depends which Monster cables you use. I happen to have several and know what I like.
                    ------------------

But back to original topic, longer cables with high capacitance can darken the tone a little more if you're close but not quite to the warmth level you need out of your sound.

Comment

Wow! Lots of “interesting” options being thrown at the OP.
                      Lets start simple… or maybe we can suggest you strip all the screws in your guitar, and pull your pick-ups apart making them worthless for resale.

OK setting aside the sarcasm
                      You’ve put quality 500k volume and tone control in your guitar with new JB & Jazz set. Roll back the tone control a little (maybe between 5 to 8) and see if you like the sound. If that sounds close to exactly what you wanted, think about switching to 250k pots, or leave the 500k and don’t be upset about using the tone control.
                      If you switch to another pick-up you’ll need to go back to 500k.

The JB & Jazz is probably not the right set for the warm sound you want in that guitar. The Jazz is the clean bright neck humbucker, much more a pup you get for clarity than for warmth. The JB has a very strong personality; it can be warm and organic but it always has a strong midrange voice that you either like or don’t like, and in some pieces of wood it just doesn’t work.

Lots of Vintage output options that should give you a warmer “less metal” sound: 59, WLH, Seths, Slash, etc…

Comment

The Seth's are warm, but with great clarity. I just put some in my 339, totally different guitar I know so, for what it's worth... They don't give you an instant rock tone like most of the after market pickups and the 57's I'd say as well. But it's in there if you dig. I think they are really versatile, while still retaining a strong individual character of their own. If I were you I'd look at those, or the APH1 to start.

Comment

Originally posted by CountFeedback View Post
                          Wow! Lots of “interesting” options being thrown at the OP.
                          Lets start simple… or maybe we can suggest you strip all the screws in your guitar, and pull your pick-ups apart making them worthless for resale.

OK setting aside the sarcasm
                          You’ve put quality 500k volume and tone control in your guitar with new JB & Jazz set. Roll back the tone control a little (maybe between 5 to 8) and see if you like the sound. If that sounds close to exactly what you wanted, think about switching to 250k pots, or leave the 500k and don’t be upset about using the tone control.
                          If you switch to another pick-up you’ll need to go back to 500k.

The JB & Jazz is probably not the right set for the warm sound you want in that guitar. The Jazz is the clean bright neck humbucker, much more a pup you get for clarity than for warmth. The JB has a very strong personality; it can be warm and organic but it always has a strong midrange voice that you either like or don’t like, and in some pieces of wood it just doesn’t work.

Lots of Vintage output options that should give you a warmer “less metal” sound: 59, WLH, Seths, Slash, etc…
                          Well, changing out the pots to 250k's (which only took 30 minutes) did help some, and got me closer. Now, I can almost get the tone I'm looking for by turning my tone down to 6 or 7, so we're getting closer, and am going to roll with that for a while. We'll see how it works at our next rehearsal. Am going to "experiment" on a stock HB with the magnet change to make sure I can do it properly. Makes sense going from a ceramic to an alnico 2 would warm it up, and it's a lot less than a PU change-out ($10 each). Plus I like "projects". If it doesn't work I'll put the original magnet back in and buy new PU's and sell the SH2 and SH4. If I dick it up, well, so be it. Won't be the first time I've screwed up a modification! :+)

SD said what everyone else here has suggested - any alnico 2 type pickup would be warmer. I did really like the '59 in a through the neck Tele I played a few weeks back, so that would be first on the radar.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Tarnishedrose View Post
                            Well, changing out the pots to 250k's (which only took 30 minutes) did help some, and got me closer. Now, I can almost get the tone I'm looking for by turning my tone down to 6 or 7, so we're getting closer, and am going to roll with that for a while. We'll see how it works at our next rehearsal. Am going to "experiment" on a stock HB with the magnet change to make sure I can do it properly. Makes sense going from a ceramic to an alnico 2 would warm it up, and it's a lot less than a PU change-out ($10 each). Plus I like "projects". If it doesn't work I'll put the original magnet back in and buy new PU's and sell the SH2 and SH4. If I dick it up, well, so be it. Won't be the first time I've screwed up a modification! :+)

SD said what everyone else here has suggested - any alnico 2 type pickup would be warmer. I did really like the '59 in a through the neck Tele I played a few weeks back, so that would be first on the radar.

Al
                            the SH-2 & SH-4 are Alnico V same mag as 59.
                            you might consider Duncan's exchange policy before pullin any pups apart.

I luv the JB in some guitars... the Jazz is not bad but would not be my choice for a warmer neck pick-up.

Comment

If all else fails and you are within the 21 day exchange, go for the Custom Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
                                If all else fails and you are within the 21 day exchange, go for the Custom Custom.
                                Unfortunately, I've had the pick ups for over 6 months, so I'm outside the exchange window. I went ahead and ordered an Alnico II Pro for the neck, so we'll see how that sounds first. If it works, I'll go ahead and change the magnets on the SH2 and move it to the bridge position.

Al

Comment

Working...
                                X