WLH vs 59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLH vs 59

So if I have a set of 59s is it really worth the money to check out the WLH set? Looking at the bit of Info I can find, they look like overwound 59s with rough cast A5 mags. If anyone has played both, I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by SFW; 07-16-2013, 06:35 AM.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Re: WLH vs 59

Bump. I wana know also

I wana rock! ROCK!
    -IM

Comment

I’ve been pondering swapping out a 59 for a WLH.
      There has been some discussion on the forum:
      I think most who have tried the WLH prefer it in varying degree to the 59,
      some mention of preference for any mag that isn’t the polished A5 stock in the 59.

Comment

The simple answer is "More Mids," but its really much more complex than that. Its hard to describe, but the WLH gets a Mid-Grind than hits a Marshall just right, especially in a gibson style guitar...
        ...taking nothing away from the 59. They are awesome too....

Comment

Originally posted by ToddStaples View Post
          The simple answer is "More Mids," but its really much more complex than that. Its hard to describe, but the WLH gets a Mid-Grind than hits a Marshall just right, especially in a gibson style guitar...
          ...taking nothing away from the 59. They are awesome too....
          Hmmmm.... Sounds like I will love 'em. I play straight into a marshall too....
          DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Damn. Gas has set in. I'd really like to try one of these. A slightly overwound 59 with a rough mag? Hell yes!
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              Damn. Gas has set in. I'd really like to try one of these. A slightly overwound 59 with a rough mag? Hell yes!
              Thats the simple way to look at it and its not wrong either. There is a "slight" compression in those upper mids that I really love. I have it in a 94 LP Standard and a Custom built FLying V.
              However, I also have a epiphone sheraton that the WLH didnt agree with. The Sheraton has 59's.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                So if I have a set of 59s is it really worth the money to check out the WLH set? Looking at the bit of Info I can find, they look like overwound 59s with rough cast A5 mags. If anyone has played both, I would love to hear your thoughts.
                As I understand it, the pitch used in winding is quite a bit different as well.

Comment

I love my 59, and I don't seem myself switching anytime soon.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                  X