Hot Rails Bridge Pickup Not Conected To Tone 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails Bridge Pickup Not Conected To Tone 2

Using the following configuration .... “1 ‘Lil Humbucker, 1 Single Coil, 1 ‘Lil Humbucker, 1 Volume, 2 Tones with Auto Splits”

After researching various websites and the Seymour Duncan website, I realise the Hot Rails bridge pickup is not connected to Tone Pot 2 which is common on most Fender Stratocasters by default, True / False ??? not to sure.

Because of the above Seymour Duncan configuration, can anyone advise on how I can connect the Hot Rails bridge pickup to Tone pot 2 on my Fender Stratocaster e.g. can I use a loop wire from one connection to another e.g. Tone Pot and Selector switch to bring the Hot Rails onto the Tone Pot 2, and what would be the connection wiring.

Many thanks.
    Maurgutarz

Re: Hot Rails Bridge Pickup Not Conected To Tone 2

Its only true of modern strats. Older strats typically had no tone for the bridge. I guess this is where the wiring diagrams should be updated to show more current practice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      The 2 humbuckers and single coil function fine with the Seymour Duncan: “1 ‘Lil Humbucker, 1 Single Coil, 1 ‘Lil Humbucker, 1 Volume, 2 Tones with Auto Splits” configuration, but not having the Hot Rails bridge connected to tone 2 is something personally I would like to have available as sometimes I find it handy to dampen some of the extreme high end cut via a tone control.
      I am still awaiting a response from Seymour Duncan on how to link the bridge pick up to tone 2, and would be grateful if any ideas or diagrams come my way based on the above pickup configuration.
      Im new to installing pickups as you have probably gathered but an experienced guitarist.

Thanx.

Comment

Here is the link to: Seymour Duncan: “1 ‘Lil Humbucker, 1 Single Coil, 1 ‘Lil Humbucker, 1 Volume, 2 Tones with Auto Splits” configuration if anyone can advise thanks >>>

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...1v_2t_shttp://

Comment

If you have a typical 5-way, then the switch has 2 sides (a separate switch on each side actually). One side will have the tone pots linked to it. There will be one free lug typically, which is connected when the bridge position is selected. Just make a jumper from that lug to one of the lugs that has a tone pot connected to it.

Comment

Hi AlexR,
            Thanks for the advice, I did solder as your last post, a wire to the empty lug on selector switch, I then soldered the other end of the wire to where the tone 2 was connected on selector switch, but also attached was the middle single coil terminal wire e.g. both tone 2 and middle pickup were connected to the same lug as per Seymour Duncan diagram.
            Anyway I plugged my Stratocaster in and only the bridge and neck pickup were functioning on selector positions 1 and 5 only.
            I have un-soldered things back to original state - "bridge pickup not connected to tone 2" ???.
            Any other ideas would be most welcome and again thanks.

Maurguitarz.

Comment

If you wired your pickups like this: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...lilhum_1v_2t_5

then just add a jumper wire like this: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...atic=tone_f_bp
              Last edited by GregJr; 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM.
              Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
              Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

Thanks for post GregJr,
                Yea my Stratocaster was originally wired as per your links with 3 single coils the short lug to lug connection for bridge pickup tone 2 etc.
                I hope I haven't opened up a mine field with this thread, but its been 3 or more days and I have still had no response from Seymour Duncan Tech Guys on this issue.

The diagram I have used to wire my 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil (middle) is at the following link: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...lilhum_1v_2t_s

I think in an earlier post in this thread by AlexR, (wiring diagrams should be updated to show more current practice) is probably spot on and maybe Seymour Duncan should take this on board.
                Unfortunately I am still unable to figure out how to connect tone 2 to my Hot Rails Bridge Pickup??? "Help".

Maurguitarz.

Comment

Ok, you're using the other side for coil splitting. In that case you'll only have two pickups able to be connected to the tone pots. In that case you'll physically have to move the tone control wire from either the middle or neck pickup lug to the bridge.

Comment

Thanks again for the info,
                    It looks as though my alternatives for: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...lilhum_1v_2t_s wiring format, are (1) leave the bridge pickup as it is (not connected to tone 2) or possibly look at a switch or another tone pot which could get messy.
                    I really appreciate all the excellent advice and feedback regarding my issue which I am still awaiting a response from Seymour Duncan (day 5 now).
                    As a last ditch though if anyone can come up with any alternative solution or advice to get my bridge pickup connected to tone 2, I would be most delighted thanks.

Maurguitarz.

Comment

Why not just use the tone pot #2 for the bridge instead of middle pup? Have tone pots on bridge and neck. In reality, when do you ever use the tone control for the middle pup.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

^+1. What Doc said.
                        Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
                        Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

Working...
                        X