banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going from Dean pickups to Dave Mustaine active Livewires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from Dean pickups to Dave Mustaine active Livewires?

I realize I am posting on a Seymour Duncan forum(hello btw), however I was wondering if anyone had made a similar transition. I got the Mustaine Zero Angel II guitar for an excellent price, of all his guitars I actually like the look of it the best. It came with Dean design humbuckers. I really like the pups as is, however I can't help but want to try the Livewires found in Dave's higher end guitars. I play classic rock and metal mostly(learning with Rocksmith, best learning tool of all time btw).

I don't have any hands on experience with active pick ups, so I'm not even sure if I'll like them. For that matter if I'm going with actives, why not the ever popular EMG 81/85 set? Ugh, main question is, will there be $190 worth of difference?

Re: Going from Dean pickups to Dave Mustaine active Livewires?

I've only had 81/81 and 81/85 sets as far as actives go. They're cool. They're very compressed and sound huge through my recto.

I've had a JB in a USA marty friedman sig KE-1, it was killer too. Don't know about the livewires, I imagine they're just a hotter version of the JB/59 set as that is what our boy Dave used to play

Comment

I've used them both. The Livewires are better than the EMG's in my opinion. They're warmer and less ice picky-y.

Comment

That's what I was thinking the difference would be, more warmth. Been listening to a lot of Megadeth recently, and the more I listen to them the less I like Metallica's sound(post Black Album anyway), Hammett and Hetfields guitar riffs just sound sterile compared to Mustaine's. I've got a coupon, ordering now, along with a dual 9v batter holder, may as well go for the 18v mod while I'm in there.

Love your signature btw, strangely hard to stop watching it lol.

Comment

LW-Must doesn't allow to connect them at 18V.

Comment

Ah, it CAN be wired up for 18v, however after your response I read that Seymour Duncans don't benefit from it(one guy who did it said it made zero difference), so I just cancelled that. Thanks brotha!

Comment

Originally posted by plissken View Post
              That's what I was thinking the difference would be, more warmth. Been listening to a lot of Megadeth recently, and the more I listen to them the less I like Metallica's sound(post Black Album anyway), Hammett and Hetfields guitar riffs just sound sterile compared to Mustaine's. I've got a coupon, ordering now, along with a dual 9v batter holder, may as well go for the 18v mod while I'm in there.

Love your signature btw, strangely hard to stop watching it lol.

Keep in mind most of Mustaines classic tones were made using good old straight JB's the live wires are fairly new. That being said I dig them they are super quiet and are similar to a JB.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Ah, another Deth head I see! I'm pretty sure you know this by now, but Mustaine used the JB/Jazz combo in everything from Killing Is my Business up until his hand/nerve injury in 2001 or whenever that happened. I'm sure his new signature pickups sound amazing, but if you wanna recreate those awesome Rust in Peace tones, all you need is a JB. And mad skills of course
                Ibanez Destroyer DT420
                Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
                Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
                Gibson Les Paul Standard
                Warmoth Custom Stratocaster

Peavey Transtube 2x12 EFX

Comment

Indeed, I love many kinds of guitar music(except country), but I always come back to metal. Just saw Megadeth with Slash and Black Label Society here this last weekend(front row!). I really want to see that Iron Maiden/Megadeth show down in Austin in September, but I want to score a pit ticket if I'm going to make the drive from Dallas(no luck so far).

Would that be the SH-4 JB? I definitely do want the Livewires for this guitar(I'm still a fan of Megadeth, their new stuff is great as well), however I've got another guitar that JB could go into.

Comment

Yeah SH4 is JB
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Hey - I'm a Dean player (and Dean forum member).

There will be a WORLD of difference between the pickups in there and the Livewires. At least $100 worth. If the rest after that is worth it to you, go for it. But I agree with everything you have said.

- Yes, Dincan > EMG
                      - Yes, BIG sound improvement

And dfor the record - the Zero is a hella bargain. Every one I have played (and I live like 10 miles from the Dean HQ) has been awesome.

Enjoy
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Excellent, the pups will be here Friday, can't wait to play em! Yeah the Angel 2 is getting to be my favorite player, the explorer body type just feels good. I got mine for only $275 on eBay, B stock, it has a small crack in the finish around the bottom tone pot, well worth saving $225!

Comment

[QUOTE=plissken;3475687]I really want to see that Iron Maiden/Megadeth show down in Austin in September, but I want to score a pit ticket if I'm going to make the drive from Dallas(no luck so far).

I'll be there, front and center! Hope you can make it!
                          Ibanez Destroyer DT420
                          Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
                          Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
                          Gibson Les Paul Standard
                          Warmoth Custom Stratocaster

Peavey Transtube 2x12 EFX

Comment

PM sent.

One more bit of advice I'd ask here rather than start a new thread, on the JB pickups. What ohm pot(250k, 500k, 1000?) would you recommend to get that 80's metal sound out of it? Whichever one it is I'm looking for a coil tap pot for it. My buddy who wires up everything for me will insist that 1000k is the best, but his specialty is amplifiers more than guitars.

Comment

No way would I do 1000k with a JB... most people do 500 though some find it too bright like that and use 250k's If the guitar is warm and even use 500's if its bright use 250's

Comment

Working...
                              X