Need a good bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good bridge

Hey all, first post here. I'm looking for suggestions on a good bridge pickup for hard rock/metal territory. There sure are a lot of choices. I swapped out the 490R/498T with a set of Alnico Pro 2s and, while the neck is stellar, I found the bridge pickup was just too mellow. After that I swapped the A2 mag from the 490 into the 498 and it's alright, but I think I'm looking for something a little hotter. I'm playing an 03 Gibson Les Paul Custom, mahogany with ebony fretboard, through a Blackstar HT-5R and a Keeley mod SD-1 when needed. I like a tight and mid-rangy sound, if that makes sense. Hard rock with a little more hair.

Browsing the net it seems popular choices would be the Custom (and variations), JB, or Distortion. Some have suggested the Dimarzio Super Distortion or D-Activators. I have an Epi with EMGs and they sound nice but was hoping to keep it passive. Not looking for much versatility for my bridge so maybe that will help narrow it down. I'm looking for a bridge first and foremost; I can find a neck later to pair with the bridge later.

Re: Need a good bridge

Les Paul?

I have a duncan distortion in mine. It rocks my socks. I had a custom before but didn't like it. the DD is killer though.

Comment

What tuning are u using? Super D in an LP rules

And so does a Distorion and Custom

Since you are into mag swapping def research a Custom 8.
      -IM

Comment

E-flat tuning. I rarely down tune save for a few select songs in D. Not really into the palm muting low end rhythm stuff if that makes sense. More 80's metals or hard rock with a bit more gain.

Looking hard at the DD. A lot of people love the JB too but I've never gotten to play around with it, and I'm wary of things like Youtube to get a sense of tone since they're usually running different amps, equipment, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Seems like I was at least on the right track.

Comment

Are you looking for a tight low end or something a little looser? If you want tight and compressed, get the DD. It's what I use for what my band calls progressive thrash metalcore.

If you want a pickup that's hot, but loose, then the SH-5 Custom all the way. It's got a ceramic magnet in it (like the DD) but is voiced a little more like a PAF. Or if you just want a mid gain pickup, then the 59/ Custom Hybrid is the way to go.
          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
            Are you looking for a tight low end or something a little looser? If you want tight and compressed, get the DD. It's what I use for what my band calls progressive thrash metalcore.

If you want a pickup that's hot, but loose, then the SH-5 Custom all the way. It's got a ceramic magnet in it (like the DD) but is voiced a little more like a PAF. Or if you just want a mid gain pickup, then the 59/ Custom Hybrid is the way to go.
            Definitely tighter lows. I think I may go ahead with the DD, although the music you play is a bit of a stretch from what I'm into. If I don't like it I can move it to another guitar or sell.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! There are lovers and detractors of each pickup, the best guide is trying to describe the sound you want or what your pickup doesn't do that you want your next pickup to do and tell us some of your "benchmark" tones.

I'm not a huge fan of the Custom or even C5, I like the CC though...all that said for your application the DD would be a great pickup, and believe it or not it CAN be subtle and has decent cleans for the guy that can operate a volume knob. I use one in my CU24 for 70s/80s cover tunes.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Greatings!

I'll say Distortion is what you really want, based on everything you said.

Since "tight " is a big deal, my second choice would be Custom, but it may not have the mids you want. But a ton of thump in the booty department - and still tight.

The JB would be my last choice. Love hate kind of pickup, especially in the bedroom, with a LEs PAul (assuming Bedroom player from little amp - could be wrong)
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by robert81 View Post
                  E-flat tuning. I rarely down tune save for a few select songs in D. Not really into the palm muting low end rhythm stuff if that makes sense. More 80's metals or hard rock with a bit more gain.

Looking hard at the DD. A lot of people love the JB too but I've never gotten to play around with it, and I'm wary of things like Youtube to get a sense of tone since they're usually running different amps, equipment, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Seems like I was at least on the right track.
                  80s metal or hard rock with more gain? Isn't that THE definition of the custom?
                  Dude, PAF on steroids=custom
                  I run a custom custom now for its classic rock flavor, but the custom i had was 80s metal heaven! LOTS of low mids, which is what i think you want from the description.

Additionally, there is a tb-5 in the trading post for $50 (not mine)

-----
                  Not sent from a PC......or a red delicious.....but from a robot with a human appearance.
                  Last edited by Reload in 5; 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM.
                  Originally posted by MikeS
                  a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                  Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                  whats becoming of this generation
                  We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by robert81 View Post
                    Definitely tighter lows. I think I may go ahead with the DD, although the music you play is a bit of a stretch from what I'm into. If I don't like it I can move it to another guitar or sell.
                    Yeah, I play some super crazy stuff (not really it's like Metallica Meets Dream Theater Meets Trivium (favorite bands)). But it's so well voiced that it can do a lot of things. I use it to play anything from classic rock to Coheed and Cambria to what my band plays. If you want something that can do palm muting really well and still have a little bit of tone to spare for more melodic things get the DD you won't be disappointed. Also SD has a 30 day return policy, so put it into your guitar and if you don't like it bring it back and put something else in. Or someone on here will trade for it.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I'm uhhhhh gonna go out on a limb here.... Full Shred? Tight and midrangey but still clear and articulate with gain. Gets an 80s tone really well.

Comment

Go with the DiMarzios

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X