Auditioning my new Weller Pro Series Soldering Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auditioning my new Weller Pro Series Soldering Iron

First of all, the packaging and instructions don't say whether this needs to be plugged in or rechargeable??? I kind of assumed it was cordless, but not sure yet.
    [edit]OK, it must have it's wallwart cable plugged into it. Not cordless.

I needed a new iron, and took a chance on this $30 iron. It's got a nice plastic handle which lays flat in all positions, so the iron can never burn your table. No need for a stand.
    And it's got an LED to light up your project.

Tonight, I have to change some pots in a tele, and my old iron always gave me too many headaches....probably a worn out tip, but I figured it's time for a new one anyway.

Common knowledge would tell me to buy a Weller soldering station for substantial money, but it's still bulky and involves cables. I rolled the dice on this Weller WPS18MP.

Stay tuned for a yay or nay review. I sure hope I don't have to return this.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-17-2013, 12:32 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Auditioning my new Weller Pro Series Soldering Iron

Nice. I think I've got a weller soldering iron that's over 30 years old at home. That tip is still going strong!
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

Re: Auditioning my new Weller Pro Series Soldering Iron

Well, er....

Here's what I think, after using it once.

Positive -

The LED light is the biggest plus. It's so nice having a tiny spotlight directly on the area being soldered.
      I like being able to apply heat to the iron with the on/off switch. It probably keeps the tip from extended heat abuse. Every time you turn it on, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the green light to come on, ready with full heat.
      It's nice to be able to set it down without the cord applying upward pressure, driving the iron into the table. It sits nice and flat with the tip suspended at all times. It does need to stay plugged in though.....not cordless. The cord is nice and long too at around 5 feet.
      The grip is ergonomic.
      It's heat is right where it should be for undoing old solder on the back of pots. It's not a knife through butter, but what you'd expect from a 60W iron. Definitely better than a slow 30W iron.

Negative -

Because the tip is connected like an 1/8 phono plug, it has a more feeble feel at the end than a traditional tip. You can't lay into the iron with much weight behind it. This iron requires a softer touch. To change tips, you pull it straight out like a plug in a jack. It doesn't have a weak and breakable feel, but it's got more flex than what you're used to.

That's about it for negatives. For $30, you get a nice modern soldering iron with LED light and an on/off switch, and enough power to do most electronic jobs, just as you could with any 40-60W iron. As long as you don't lose the power cord, you're good to go. It's twice what a similar Radio Shack soldering iron would sell for, but it's a nice modern Weller. So far, so good.
      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
      X