Blade Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Humbuckers

Hey guys, I have some questions about blade humbuckers.

So I understand they are usually designed in 2 different ways: 2 coils with aluminium blades with a magnet underneath, OR, 2 coils with magnetic bars with no magnet underneath.

Now, what I wanted to know was: can you use different magnet blades for each coil? Also; can you put an extra magnet under the magnet blade style pickup?

thanks!

Pictures envisioning what i'm talking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	blade_bottom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	5829116Click image for larger version

Name:	nokie_2_blades.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	5829117

Re: Blade Humbuckers

You could use a different magnet type for each coil/blade but the stronger magnet would degauss the weaker magnet over time. However there are a few hybrid magnet pickups like the Iommi which has A2 flanked with two smaller ceramic helper magnets.

Comment

I usually see the blades with steel, never heard of aluminum before but sounds cool. Also if one magent overpowers another one too much it could add noise, and might sound overly bright. But that's just my hypothesis. Could be really cool.

Comment

are there A5 mags that can match the strength of an A8 or Ceramic magnet (or in reverse)?

I meant to say steel, but I guess aluminum could be a cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
          I usually see the blades with steel, never heard of aluminum before but sounds cool. Also if one magent overpowers another one too much it could add noise, and might sound overly bright. But that's just my hypothesis. Could be really cool.

Why would a magnet mismatch add any noise? Or a particular brightness for that matter?
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by 0v3nm4n View Post
            are there A5 mags that can match the strength of an A8 or Ceramic magnet (or in reverse)?

I meant to say steel, but I guess aluminum could be a cool idea.

What do you mean the same strength? An A5 will take about 700 gauss an A8 will go over 1000. The material composition doesnt allow them to take a charge the same way.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

so there's nothing I can do about it. WILL one magnet overpower the other?

Comment

so there's nothing I can do about it. WILL one magnet overpower the other?
                What do you mean overpower though? yes 1 will be stronger than the other yes you will have over time one demagnetize the other (this can be a good thing some times actually)

But really what are you trying to achieve?

Comment

I was going to take a custom coil with a ceramic blade, a JB coil with an A5 blade and make them into a humbucker...then maybe juice them some more with an A8 magnet underneath

Comment

I was going to take a custom coil with a ceramic blade, a JB coil with an A5 blade and make them into a humbucker...then maybe juice them some more with an A8 magnet underneath
                    Ok... But why? What are you trying to sonically achieve? I will guarantee 1 thing with that set up... String pull from hell. You pickup would have to be half an inch away from the strings to not pull them out of tune. Its fun to dream but shotgunning specs together an hoping it sounds cool makes it really hard to get results. Its easier to say this is what I want sonically what parts do i need to achieve this. Much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      Why would a magnet mismatch add any noise? Or a particular brightness for that matter?
                      If one coil side has a powerful ceramic mag and the other has an alnico and they are wound the same, would one coil not sound louder and be more prominent over the other coil? Leading to a slightly unbalanced output on both sides meaning less hum canceling and since more focus is on one coil over the other wouldn't that create a brighter tone with more single coil like qualities?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        Ok... But why? What are you trying to sonically achieve? I will guarantee 1 thing with that set up... String pull from hell. You pickup would have to be half an inch away from the strings to not pull them out of tune. Its fun to dream but shotgunning specs together an hoping it sounds cool makes it really hard to get results. Its easier to say this is what I want sonically what parts do i need to achieve this. Much easier.

just experimentation. was going for the jb/custom alnico 8 type of thing and thought this is ONE way it might work

But how is Iommi's pickup doing it then? he has A2s and Ceramic Magnets in his model
                        Last edited by 0v3nm4n; 07-17-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I think this is the layout. You can add ceramic helper magnets to most pickups where the spacers are.

Comment

I thought it was in reverse...can you do that as well?

Comment

I thought it was in reverse...can you do that as well?
                              The majority of triple magnet pickups are ceramics, so while it's possible to have alnico helper magnets it's not as common. I'm not sure you're going to find many alnico helper magnets? Part of the reason you would want the alnico in the center is because it won't be totally degaused by either helper. Also alnico helpers wouldn't add as much power as ceramics.
                              Last edited by idsnowdog; 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X