Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Picking Out Some New Pickups

For starters, First Post!

Anyway, the title says it all. I'm looking to upgrade the pups in my Epiphone '66 Wilshire reissue I absolutely love this guitar, but I hate the stock mini-hums in it. I'm looking to upgrade to full-size humbuckers (yes I know this will require some re-routing) or possibly P90s. Tone wise, I'm looking for that hot PAF "brown" sound for the rhythm. Warm and fat low end, with a nice mid range crunch, with a bright high end but not super bright. I was thinking like SD Pearly Gates or a Dimarzio PAF Pro/FRED. For the bridge, I want more of a rich, warm growley/roaring tone, with articulate and plenty of harmonics. Kind like an "Iommi" tone a bit. I was thinking like an Invader, Full Shred, or Super Distortion, etc.

I've looked into a lot of these pickups, I just wanted to see what you guys have to chime in. I'm kind of a newbie to this stuff, as this would be my first pickup swap. Feel free to throw around suggestions and etc.

Thanks guys!

~G

Re: Need Help Picking Out Some New Pickups

I wouldn't describe the full shred as growly or roaring, but it does get great harmonics and articulation. The Jb will probably be more in the right direction. The Invader might work too but it's duncans most compressed, darkest, passive pickup outside the custom shop, so you'll likely always have your treble boosted on your amp and rarely touch the tone pot. I recommend the jb or distortion because they're a little more flexible, but the distortion might be too tight and bright for your tastes, can't really say. Pearly gates for the neck sounds just about right, it is also very bright though. Only pther one I might recommend is the 59. If you're sticking to duncan.

Comment

You might want to try the Black Winter bridge pup and a 59 neck pickup. I love the 59 distortion combo, but the Distortion is probably way too bright for you. I think the Black Winter bridge is warmer.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Also, welcome to the forums. There's a bunch of great people on here who are willing to give you advice about anything, even stuff not related to guitar. I asked about a chorus pedal one week and how to ask a girl out the next.
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
          You might want to try the Black Winter bridge pup and a 59 neck pickup. I love the 59 distortion combo, but the Distortion is probably way too bright for you. I think the Black Winter bridge is warmer.
          I've actually heard the two back to back, the BW is actually a little brighter and has a higher resonance peak. But it does offer more of everything else too so I'll second this one actually.

Comment

I wasn't sure. I've heard both as well, but I haven't heard them right next to each other in the same rig, so that might be why.
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Yeah, maybe "growling/roaring" wasn't the best of terms hahaha. Mainly I want a bridge tone thats articulate and has plenty of harmonics, but has a little more "soul" or "meat" to it. AKA doesn't sound like an 81, or Keith Merrow (good guitarist, just a bland tone). The JB DOES sound good. I checked it out more on the SD website. Sounds right up my alley. I have heard a lot of people speak wonders about it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Man!

Comment

Then if you want a bridge pup with plenty of harmonics, the Distortion or (as much as I hate to say it) the JB. The Distortion is a bit bright, but it's also got a lot of mids that I love. The JB I've never tried, but so many people swear by it on here.
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                  I wasn't sure. I've heard both as well, but I haven't heard them right next to each other in the same rig, so that might be why.
                  Here ya go buddy.

Get the Seymour Duncan Black Winter from Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWHAEHM/?tag=dnulgn-20My Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/fearedseMy Blog:...

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Sorry if I'm seem picky or finnicky X-D just I'm on that tone hunt lol. The Black Winter does seem to be quite the brutal pickup lol.

Comment

The JB can sound a bit thin on the low end if your amp isn't dialed in right but when palm muting its quite percussive.

If you're looking for more grunt and meat in the pickup I'd suggest the Custom or the super distortion. The custom is smoother and retains some of the vintage PAF vibe. The super distortion has more mids and bass. Its a bit darker than the custom and has a bit more output. I find it a bit more versatile than the custom. They're both fantastic bridge pickups and kick some serious booty.

For the neck I'd go PAF pro pr '59. The PAF pro has a very cool vowelly "aw" sound that you might like and has more mids than the '59. The PG might be a bit bright for your tastes. The '59 is a pretty great neck pickup but it can sound a bit scooped in the mids.

Both the PAF pro and the will '59 pair up well with pretty much anything you'd put in the bridge.
                      “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

I second the Super D
                        -IM

Comment

I third the Super Distortion... A ton of 70's and 80's bands used them to get that sound.

Comment

I have that Wilshire and happen to really like the mini hums in it. You realize that there are, however, other mini hums that may get the tones you seek (SM-3, Seymourized, would be a good choice). But if you really feel the need to change, I'd recommend P-90's, for a couple reasons.

1. You won't have to rout out your body to fit in full sized buckers;

2. P-90's work exceptionally well in that guitar. (the Wilshire is essentially like an SG with solid mahogany body and neck. P-90's and SG's were made for each other, can't get much better except maybe a C8 in the bridge);

3. Some buckers are very picky about the guitars/woods they are used in (eg. JB) and you may just open up a whole new can of worms.

Certainly there is a HUGE selections of hummers that would work in your guitar to get what you're looking for. But P-90's, with their two magnet structure, allow near-infinite tonal tweaking possibilities and would drop right in. The SP90-2 set might be a great place for you to start, with possibility of mag swaps to dial them in to perfection.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Full Shred can sound growly, it just needs a big, thick mahogany. It's also more open on the top end than the JB, but tighter in the low end. Cleans up nicer too.

Comment

Working...
                              X