Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying gold covers?

Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if it is possible to take the cover from my epiphone stock pickup and put in on a set of SD 59īs? Will they fit properly?

Thanks!

Re: Applying gold covers?

Hey Tumblinman:

First of all, welcome to the User Group Forum. I'm pretty sure you'll like it here and want to stick around.

Second, compare your pickups to Seymour Duncans. That will give you the overall size and the E-to-E spacing of the pole pieces (2.00" in the picture below). You'll need to know that information to determine if the Epiphone covers will fit SDs.

The good news is that we have all the dimensions on our site.

The look like this:

Keep in mind that you have to remove some plating from the lower-inside of the cover and solder-ground it to the pickup's bottom plate. Also, keep in mind that it's best to dampen the cover so it can't resonante at a different frequency from the rest of the pickup under high-gain conditions. That's what causes microphonic feedback (aka "squealing like a stuck pig"). Wax potting is the best way of dampening, but if you don't have the ability to wax pot put some dampening material between the bobbins and the cover. Two things that come to mind are neoprene mesh and double-sided foam tape.

Or, you can send the pickups to MJ in the custom shop and (after NAMM), she'll put the covers on and do a vacuum wax potting as well.

Good luck.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Evan!

I appreciate that printing. It'll be really helpful.

Comment

No problem. Just keep comin' back!

Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Working...
        X