More LiveWire questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More LiveWire questions.

This is another of those threads thats inspired by another thread.

When the discussion of active pups comes up, the focus always seems to go to EMG's. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) I heard a band play the other day where the lead guitarist was using an HSH Ibby with EMG's. He was playing bluesy, rockin' leads, and it wasn't sterile at all. Just a great clean "cut" through the mix.

But I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with Seymour's actives. Its almost as if no one knows they exist. (And, they're already 18-volt ready.)

I'm just curious . . . what does the "active" crowd think of LiveWires? Why aren't they ever suggested? Or, have I just missed those threads?

Artie

(And of course, now I'm chompin' at the bit to try some.)

Re: More LiveWire questions.

Originally posted by ArtieToo

I heard a band play he other day where the lead guitarist was using an HSH Ibby with EMG's. He was playing bluesy, rockin' leads, and it wasn't sterile at all. Just a great clean "cut" through the mix.

My grandfather was a country lead who used EMG singles in his Tele....

....which is kinda why I shake my head when people get all hung up over the whole EMG=Metal thing....

Other than that, I have nothing useful to add to this other than what I've read from other users.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

it's cos they slit your throat and steal your girlfriend the live wires do .. yes

in other words.. no frickin idea.. never used em and prolly never will

Comment

The only thing I have experience with is the LW-Heavy Metal, so here it is in a nutshell... For rip your head off death-metal, it's ok, but really too hot for even that. The "clean" tone is non-existent. The mids are rediculous, as well. I like mids as much as the next guy, but when the pickup sounds like it's talking through it's nose, it's a bit rediculous. There is no other pickup that defines "one-trick pony" as well as this one. The trick isn't even all that good, either. I would say that any guitars you put a LW-HMET into would sound the same... really bad. I really wanted to like it, and was very shocked at how bad it turned out to be.

IMHO, the Livewire Metal actually IS what most anti-EMG forum members make out the EMG 81 to be.

Bottom line is: Seymour owns passive, EMG owns active.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I cant even find any for sale...that really doesnt make sense, unless they all end up in the trash. Anyone have a set?

Comment

I've got the LiveWire Hot for Strat, in the bridge of my strat, I've had it for over a year, changed batteries once, and It's a great pick-up. If I am using a guitar with a single coil in the bridge, I would choose to have this pick-up, close in output to a humbucker and a definetly rockin' sound, it also cleans up fairly nice and cuts through well, I use it when I want bright Cleans for arrpegios and what not...
            Otherwise I would prefer a passive humbucker for my bridge positions...
            Don't have any experience with the LiveWire Humbuckers
            Rock On
            ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
            2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
            Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by Kac
              I've got the LiveWire Hot for Strat, in the bridge of my strat, I've had it for over a year, changed batteries once, and It's a great pick-up. If I am using a guitar with a single coil in the bridge, I would choose to have this pick-up, close in output to a humbucker and a definetly rockin' sound, it also cleans up fairly nice and cuts through well, I use it when I want bright Cleans for arrpegios and what not...
              Otherwise I would prefer a passive humbucker for my bridge positions...
              Don't have any experience with the LiveWire Humbuckers
              Rock On
              Cool . . . that might be one of the first LiveWire reviews I've seen on the forum. Thanks for checking in Kac.

Maybe, I will buy some.

Comment

yea i used a livewire heavy metal at one of the local guitar stores...it really is way and its pretty raw and aggressive...too powerful to play anything other than heavy heavy metal... i agree totally with jb from hell about sd owning the passive pickup area..
                Schecter C1 Blackjack (with emgs 81/85)
                Gibson SG

Laney HCM 65R
                Marshall MG 30DFX

Boss MD 2 mega distortion
                Line 6 Guitarport

Jim Dunlop Tortex picks

Comment

Working...
                X