Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59/Custom with Alnico 8, or Custom 8?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum (though reading posts was incredibly helpful before joining...), and was wondering what you all thought would sound better: a 59/Custom with an Alnico 8 magnet, or the Custom 8?

I have a Les Paul Studio and play through a Blackstar HT-1. I play mostly classic/hard rock (Zeppelin, AC/DC, GNR, Aerosmith, etc.), and initially swapped out the neck pickup for a Custom. Although I loved the thick chunk and 'roided-out-PAF tone of the Custom, I found it a bit too dry/cold/sterile (I often had to roll back the tone knob a bit, but even then it still lacked the "juiciness" of Alnico mag pickups, if that makes sense...), and didn't much like the cleans. I don't play much metal, so I don't need anything quite that aggressive.

I swapped it out for the 59/Custom, and overall like that better, with more complex and musical tones, and a truly wonderful clean sound. The distorted sound is great too, definitely more crunch than a typical PAF-style pickup. However, it's just a tad too loose and grainy, and I'd love it if I could get all the benefits of the pickup with just a bit more crunch and edge, especially to tighten up the lows and the highs.

So, I'm wondering, would you recommend an Alnico 8 for this pickup, or would that completely ruin it? What is everyone's experience with that? I've also read raves about the Custom 8, so would that be a better option, and would that sacrifice what I like so much about the Hybrid?

Does anyone have sound clips of these pickups I could listen to?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Re: 59/Custom with Alnico 8, or Custom 8?

try it out. only way to know for sure if you like it.

I've used an A8 in a '59 and in a Custom and it's a winner in both pickups, but I've not tried it in a '59/C hybrid. Logic would follow that it should sound fine in the '59/C as well, but like I said, the only way to know for sure is if you try it for yourself.

The C8 is pretty high output. It's usable for lower-medium gain stuff, but I'd think the lower output of the '59/C wind would be better suited to what you're playing.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely leaning towards trying it out, but I don't have any experience swapping magnets or even changing pickups myself, so I'm a bit hesitant to just dive into it, or have to pay someone to do it, if there's a good chance it will sound like crap...

But if enough people think the tone is good, and would not obviously ruin the good thing I already have going in the 59/C, then I'll definitely give it a shot.

From what I've read on this forum, it seems like the consensus is that the A8 tames the harshness of the Custom, a pickup that I did like for many reasons, so my logic was that the A8 in the 59/C would be the perfect "sweet spot" between the 59/C and the C8 (though I haven't heard the latter...). But I'm a newbie at this, so I could be totally off base...

Comment

It's pretty easy to do, but just be aware that if you do a mag swap, you are voiding the warranty on the pickup. If you're uncomfortable doing that yourself, you could probably send your pickup in to SD for a magnet swap (which would likely keep the warranty in tact), or you could order a "shop floor custom" ie a base model with a small tweak, like a different magnet from stock.

Here's a vid tutorial I did on swapping magnets:

Comment

That's great, thanks! My pickup is covered, so it might be a little more involved to remove that (and it'll be coated in more wax I suppose), but I'm definitely quite tempted...

Comment

Working...
          X