banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate PAF on a budget closer than we think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate PAF on a budget closer than we think?

Hello!

I was having too much time recently and I was thinking...

From what I've read on this forum and on the internet TRUE PAF should:
    1. Be winded with DC resistance around 7,"something"k
    2. Have butyrate bobbins, long-legged bottom plate and other build things,

but... it should have also got

3. Unbalanced coils and AlNiCo IV magnet

then...

If the Seth Lovers are made to original specs just as Seth Lover wanted original PAF's to be made they lack only few things to be THE PAF.

Since the making hybrids and swapping magnets became almost as popular as conventional pickup changes we should try this idea.

Let's take the Seth Lover set, change the crew or slug coils between them and swap the magnets for AlNiCo IV. or... A3/UOA5 as some people want to have in vintage winds.

Basically this could works as good for 59's or other PAF sets. (Or maybe someone already did that and wnat to share their thoughts?)

I just wanted to share my idea and see what other people think.
    Gibson SG Standard with Seth Lover neck/bridge hybrid with A3 in neck & Brobucker with A3 in bridge
    -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Reaper -> Helix Native -> Celestion IRs -> Yamaha HPH-MT8

Less is more

Re: Ultimate PAF on a budget closer than we think?

Lindy Fralin Pure PAF comes stock with those specs. You can also call Duncan's custom shop and have MJ make one for you.

Don't buy on specs alone, though. The best way to find the Ultimate PAF for YOUR PERSONAL TASTE is to ask yourself this: what do you actually want it to sound like??

What are you using now? What do like and dislike about it? What kind of guitar and amp setup do you have? Do you prefer clean or distorted sounds? Do you prefer to get distortion from the amp, or from pedals? This information will go a long way to getting good advice from the forum; otherwise, you'll just have random people who play random guitars and random musical styles telling you "I like____."
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

I don't think there is an "ultimate paf". I think there are lots of great pickups for all types of players with all types of preferences.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by majewsky View Post
        Hello!

I was having too much time recently and I was thinking...

From what I've read on this forum and on the internet TRUE PAF should:
        1. Be winded with DC resistance around 7,"something"k
        2. Have butyrate bobbins, long-legged bottom plate and other build things,

but... it should have also got

3. Unbalanced coils and AlNiCo IV magnet

then...

If the Seth Lovers are made to original specs just as Seth Lover wanted original PAF's to be made they lack only few things to be THE PAF.

Since the making hybrids and swapping magnets became almost as popular as conventional pickup changes we should try this idea.

Let's take the Seth Lover set, change the crew or slug coils between them and swap the magnets for AlNiCo IV. or... A3/UOA5 as some people want to have in vintage winds.

Basically this could works as good for 59's or other PAF sets. (Or maybe someone already did that and wnat to share their thoughts?)

I just wanted to share my idea and see what other people think.
        This is what "THE PAF" looks like:

Gibson never went with the original design as it was. The marketing dept. added the screw coil as a "value-added-gimmick", they added the nickelsilver cover, as the speced stainless steel one was way too expensive and cumbersome to source and produce. When the actual production was running, they used the cheapest magnets they could find, as long as it said "alnico" on the invoice, that's why you'll ramdomly find PAFs with A2, A3, A4 and UOA5 mags.

Plus, the winder machines didn't have a counter, so every coil was basically different, as they were "eyeballed wound until they were full". Later on, they added another winder machine only for the slug coils, adding to the randomness of the p'ups.

"The PAF" just doesn't exist. Never have, never will. Kinda the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

What does exist, are the guidelines for the creation and fine-tuning of a "PAF-like" p'up that'll work for YOU, with YOUR instrument, through YOUR rig.

HTH,
        Last edited by LtKojak; 07-21-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

Gibson never went with the original design as it was. The marketing dept. added the screw coil as a "value-added-gimmick", they added the nickelsilver cover, as the speced stainless steel one was way too expensive and cumbersome to source and produce. When the actual production was running, they used the cheapest magnets they could find, as long as it said "alnico" on the invoice, that's why you'll ramdomly find PAFs with A2, A3, A4 and UOA5 mags.

Plus, the winder machines didn't have a counter, so every coil was basically different, as they were "eyeballed wound until they were full". Later on, they added another winder machine only for the slug coils, adding to the randomness of the p'ups.

"The PAF" just doesn't exist. Never have, never will. Kinda the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

What does exist, are the guidelines for the creation and fine-tuning of a "PAF-like" p'up that'll work for YOU, with YOUR instrument, through YOUR rig.

HTH,
          THis+1 to this.
          sigpic
          Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
          JFG Flying V,
          "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
          John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I've never heard a "real" PAF pickup. But I will say that the Seth Lover model is one of the best pickups I have tried, period. PAF or otherwise.

LP Custom
            Greenbacks
            Boss SD-1

Comment

HTH,
              Well said sir!

I'd also add that if someone wanted to capture "pure PAF" tone... one would want to have that pickup wound on Seth's very own Leesona by someone who knew and revered him... I wonder who that could be? lolz.
              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

HTH,
                yep
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Kojack is dead on. The in addition to that early PAF's we know today all had various magnets of alnico 2, 3, 4, and 5 as well as inconsistent winding that would sometimes match or be unmatched or would be hotter or would be less hot or whatever. So each one was RADICALLY different even if you have the design we know already, which is why there are so many takes on it. So like take a Seth Lover and a Brobucker, both of those pickups share the PAF style and sound drastically different and BOTH of them are equally legitimate PAF replicas. So the ULTIMATE PAF is a matter of taste in sound, not what paper says.

Comment

i don't think ultimate and budget should go in the same sentence.

Comment

Hi,
                      Must reply. I have one REAL PAF! Talked to MJ and she said the Seth L. I Got it, but was very, very, close. Spoke with MJ again and she said You need an A5 mag in your Seth to match what your PAF sounds like. I had played the PAF for her on the phone, but with enough definition she said she could hear it fine along W/my Seth A2 in an exact, same guitar, just A/B-ing for her. That is why I never feel I have to hunt ever again for a bridge H'bucker. My REAL PAF is just devastating in beauty. If you are not too young, think Mike Bloomfield crossed W/a young Mayall period pissed off Eric Claton!
                      Steve Buffington. So not only is that MY story, but +1 to everyone else, and a TRIPLE +++1 to Pepe-Lt. Kojak!

Comment

Working...
                      X