Pickups for distorted music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for distorted music?

Hey i bought my first Epiphone Les Paul and i didn't want anything crazy so i started small with the LP 100. Should i upgrade the pickups and if so what should i get?
    NOTE: I play mostly Green Day, blink 182, Metallica, and other distorted sounding music.

Re: Pickups for distorted music?

It depends if your using a cheesy amp then probably not. If you have a decent amp and arent happy with the pickups then sure they can be a great upgrade. Keep this in mind though keep the stock pickups so if you ever sell the guitar you can put those back in and keep your upgraded pickups or sell them separate.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The pickups in the lower end Epis are usually very meh.

what kind of amp do you have?

Depending on how bright/dark sounding your guitar is, a good starting point would be the Duncan Distortion or Invader for the bridge, and either the matching neck pickups or you could go with a '59N, Pearly Gates Neck or Jazz in the neck position for a bit more versatility.

Comment

If your amp isn't all that great I would recommend you upgrading that first. But if your amp is pretty decent then a PUP swap is a good idea. For the music you play I would recommend a JB or Distortion as first options. Also any of the Custom models would be a good choice as well.
        Originally posted by KBliss
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        Originally posted by trevorus
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

For the bands you mentioned I would recommend the JB

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a guy named Khriss Bliss on Youtube, and he has the same guitar you do. His videos are full of useful info.

Comment

I play the same music as you and I use a SH-5 Custom. It works great, assuming you have a decent amp of course. (I'm using a Blackstar HT-5R Combo).

Comment

what amp are you using?
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by GREEN DAY LP GEEK View Post
                  Should i upgrade the pickups and if so what should i get?
                  first off, what is it about your current sound that you're not happy about?

Comment

JB's are powerful and clear. They clean up very nice yet growl when you need them 2 , Excellent choice.

Comment

I wouldn't put a whole lot of money into a LP100. Honestly just play it and whenever you think you're ready for bigger/better things etc, go for it.

Comment

Judging by your name, I'd recommend the pickup here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	GD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	5769523

Which is the same pickup these fine gentlemen have suggested, the JB.

Comment

Yeah, JB or Dist.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'm just starting out but I'm using a fender 15g amp nothing great but it works but I want that DOOKIE type of sound and with this I'm getting like a grunge type of vibe

Comment

Originally posted by GREEN DAY LP GEEK View Post
                              I'm just starting out but I'm using a fender 15g amp nothing great but it works but I want that DOOKIE type of sound and with this I'm getting like a grunge type of vibe

What do you have your EQ settings at on the amp?
                              "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Working...
                              X