Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-2, either a smart or numbskull question

Ladies & Gents,
    I am considering an SH-2 Bridge position. The info implies that although a touch louder, it still maintains it same tonal mark, Example: 6/4/9. Say that it does keep its' same tonal footprint, how is upping the level done? A Stronger A5, an extra hundred laps of wire, a little of both (thereby making it almost certainly a proprietary method). This is for a very dark sounding instrument.
    My Seths' seem to lose some sparkle in this guitar. I like the SH-2 very much where it is, and I bet it would make a great bridge 'bucker in a dead guitar. It is the wood, not the electronics.
    Thanks as Always,
    The guy who likes all kinds of answers.
    Steve Buffington

Re: SH-2, either a smart or numbskull question

The bridge version has more winds than the neck version hence the touch more power and slightly different resonant peak. The bridge SH2 is actually a pretty decent pickup your right it is bright but its pretty smooth not irritating. If the SH2 doesnt work for you try the PG bridge its really bright too.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The SH-2 is actually 5/3/9. Pretty bright. Try the SH-2b and see how it works for your dead guitar. To get a little extra pizzazz out of it you may want to try an A8 mag in it.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Some past threads discussing the SH2b:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...where-it-is-at!
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

don't give up on the seths you have. try a 500k or 1 meg pot. that will liven up that guitar. pots are often overlooked as tone bandits.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
            Ladies & Gents,
            I am considering an SH-2 Bridge position. The info implies that although a touch louder, it still maintains it same tonal mark, Example: 6/4/9. Say that it does keep its' same tonal footprint, how is upping the level done? A Stronger A5, an extra hundred laps of wire, a little of both (thereby making it almost certainly a proprietary method). This is for a very dark sounding instrument.
            My Seths' seem to lose some sparkle in this guitar. I like the SH-2 very much where it is, and I bet it would make a great bridge 'bucker in a dead guitar. It is the wood, not the electronics.
            Thanks as Always,
            The guy who likes all kinds of answers.
            Steve Buffington
            Steve, Addiction FX carries Un-Oriented Ceramic 8 mags.

It's like an A5 but without the scoop and the cold, sharp edge normal ceramic mags have.

This mag could wake up even the muddiest of asian p'ups, so have a go. For less than ten bucks, mind you!

I'm almost certain you're going to love'em in that dark guitar.

HTH,

Comment

I'm a huge, huge fan of the sh-2b! I installed one in a very warm guitar and it was like breathing life into the guitar as well as my playing. Try one out, it is a smooth bright and very perfect for a warm guitar.
              Soundcloud

Comment

Hi,
                Thanks to all of you, too many to name, for the great suggestions. I have heard the PG's have almost too much bite so that could be a good idea in this case. Also, if a ten buck mag swap could not only give me a little more sparkle and I assume Lt.K. Means more mids also, that could be the ticket also.
                As I continue to feel too close to the wrong side of my financial world, one of my Seth's just got freed up from another guitar, it has the A2 I don't much like, so the A8 is a good choice also, as I never seem to get enough mids on any pick-pup I have ever tried. I had earlier asked for help in choosing a Seth zebra A5 custom shop look and sound on the cheap, and 59's and PG's had come up then also at shop floor, not CS prices. So all this makes sense.
                Thank You everyone. Appreciate it. Much help!!
                Steve Buffington.

Comment

Working...
                X