Strat Build Poll- Ultimate Pickup Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Build Poll- Ultimate Pickup Selection

Looking for a vintage strat sound/tone with 5 SD pickups in the running. Please select your preference!

1. Lipstick Tube

2. Psychedelic Strat

3. Antiquity Surfer

4. APS II

5. Vintage for Strat
    Lipstick Tube
    10.00%
    Psychedelic Strat
    20.00%
    Antiquity Surfer
    45.00%
    APS II
    5.00%
    Vintage for Strat
    25.00%

Re: Strat Build Poll- Ultimate Pickup Selection

Didnt you have 3 sets of zephyrs coming?
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
      Didnt you have 3 sets of zephyrs coming?
      1 arrived........ 2 more to show up soon I hope! Received all 3 Warmoth kits.........just waiting for rest of pickups and the small parts (pots/capacitors etc) and then will begin the builds.
      The Zeph humbuckers arrived and so waiting on the tele and single coil Zephs to arrive.

So far it all looks very nice...
      For my vintage strat I'm thinking of going with black korina body and maple neck. Selecting the pickups now and then will make the final decision regarding wood choice. Thanks!

Comment

dood! dont forget the humble but awesome ssl-1 set!
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          Yes....that's the Vintage for Strat above (SSL-1).....it's there for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
            For my vintage strat I'm thinking of going with black korina body and maple neck. Selecting the pickups now and then will make the final decision regarding wood choice. Thanks!
            Damn, I think that's a nice wood choice. I'd keep it just like that, maybe get a set of alnico IIs for a more compact, midrangy alternative to the hi-fi zephyrs. I won't be very surprised if you actually like both.

Comment

If it was me, I'd mix.

Psychedelic in the neck,
              Vintage in the middle
              Antiquity Custom in the bridge

Should give great balance in tone, output and versatility.

Neck pickup would be Hendrix style tones,
              neck/middle would be SRV,
              middle would be Clapton,
              bridge/middle would be Knopfler,
              and bridge would be Blackmore.
              Decades of stratty awesome in one guitar. (And yeah I know they all used more than one position, just the ones I usually associate them with.)

But if you HAVE to stick with a set, I say the Psychedelic late 60's strat pickups. My personal favorite.
              Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 07-27-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Aww poo... No 5-2.

Comment

I've had the antiquity surfers as well as the strabro 90s in my guitar - FWIW the surfers nail the vintage strat sound, but the strabro 90s (I think you can only get them through the custom shop) still have that same flutey "hollow" strat sound and are a little tighter on the bottom end and do a fantastic P-90 sound.

I don't know what woods you're using for your guitars but I think your preference is going to be guided by the fretboard wood. IMO rosewood sounds better with a5/ceramic magnets and Maple does better with a2. YMMV though.
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                    I've had the antiquity surfers as well as the strabro 90s in my guitar - FWIW the surfers nail the vintage strat sound, but the strabro 90s (I think you can only get them through the custom shop) still have that same flutey "hollow" strat sound and are a little tighter on the bottom end and do a fantastic P-90 sound.

I don't know what woods you're using for your guitars but I think your preference is going to be guided by the fretboard wood. IMO rosewood sounds better with a5/ceramic magnets and Maple does better with a2. YMMV though.
                    Good stuff...unless using a 5-2, right? :-) I will remember your recommendation, thanks again!
                    By the way, do any of the pickups above lend themselves better to Mahogany, Alder, or Ash? Other?

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
                      Good stuff...unless using a 5-2, right? :-) I will remember your recommendation, thanks again!
                      By the way, do any of the pickups above lend themselves better to Mahogany, Alder, or Ash? Other?
                      Traditionally strat pickups were designed for lighter more balanced woods like ash, alder, poplar, etc. Ash being the first. But I've tried mahogany strats and stuff, sounds fantastic with them. Black korina like you said would be REALLY cool and interesting. And no matter what wood you choose these pickups will still maintain their character and fundamentals. It's still going to sound like a strat, some more than others though. If you decide against the Korina, Swamp Ash is a very eyecatching and traditional choice for a strat. I actually think a good swamp ash grain on it's own looks better than most if not all flame or quilted tops. But that's just me.

Comment

After ordering a few kits I have still not finalized a black korina model, although I do hope to do so one day soon. And I'll probably go with the forum choice here for pickups. Maybe one day with more affordable kits I'll be able to build a few with all of these and even the Fender '69s.......until then.....one set at a time and as I said, hope to have the Korina build designed and ordered very soon! Thanks so much!

Comment

Antiquity Surfer......anyone have strong feelings for or for an alternative?
                          I thought Vintage for Strat would prevail......maybe not.
                          Thanks for any info!

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                            This is what I would use. A freind has this on his strat copy.
                            sigpic
                            Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                            JFG Flying V,
                            "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                            John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I can't speak highly enough about my SD Lipstick set.

I absolutely love the feel of these pickups. Oddly enough, even through a really high gain amp, they aren't THAT noisy.

For cleans though I think they are amazingly useful.
                              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Working...
                              X