Need help! picking the right pickup!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help! picking the right pickup!!

Hi all, I installed a dimebucker in my rg350 over a couple of years ago and while it sounds good it is to bright, I have to roll my tone knob back about half way. I have always put Jbs in my strats and they seem to work really well for me, but for this rg350 it has a basswood body so I need help figuring out what pickup I should get that will even out and sound the best in this basswood. I want a pickup thats hot, but not over baring so I can still use it for cleans, I was thinking the sh6....but i dunno. Any help would be much appreciated. Oh and Im running it through a dsl100 and 1960a cab, just in case somebody asks.

Re: Need help! picking the right pickup!!

This might not be the best answer since you just came from a Dimebucker, but the only pickup I've used besides stock in my basswood strat was a Dimarzio Super Distortion. It's around 13k, and I quite like it for metal, and it cleans up well too.

Comment

I'm thinking a Duncan Custom would suit you nicely. It's hot but not too hot. The Distortion is sorta like a JB on steroids. Similar voicing but more oomph, snarl, bite and output.

The Custom by comparison is hot, crunchy and has a good oomph to it, but it's got a more classic sound than the Distortion and a bit less output (output wise it's roughly even to the JB). It splits and cleans up really nicely.

That's not to say that the Distortion won't sound good, cuz it absolutely will, but it's a more modern sounding pickup. It has usable cleans, but not lush, lively beautiful cleans.

Comment

I was gonna reccommend the JB but dang you already got em. Well its pretty dang dark souding but if you wanna stay the same output as the dimebucker and get a darker tone, even heavier than the JB, the invader might work. It's got enough top end to give it crunch but JUST enough. I never touch the tone knob when I use them. It might be your thing.

Comment

Custom is definitely a great pick in a basswood bodied RG, love the one I have in my RG 470. Invader may work too, but you have to be careful with your amp settings, otherwise it may get a bit muddy. Keep the mids up and the Invader fairly low and it'll work nicely too.
          http://www.lonephantom.com
          http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Custom would be my first suggestion (or Custom 8).
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X