banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can This Simple Thing Make A JB Sound Even Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can This Simple Thing Make A JB Sound Even Better?

OK, so lately I've been using two identical strats. Both have a JB/Jazz set. The only difference between the two is the JB on one of them has a nickel cover. I have been alternating between these two strats for quite a while, but they ended up side by side near my amp in the last couple of weeks and I've been using them both almost exclusively.

Well to make a long story short, I noticed that the nickel covered JB sounds best. The cover seems to soften the sound a bit overall. Uncovered, the JB feels a bit dry or stiff. The cover gives it a slightly looser feel which lets it respond more naturally to my pick attack. It reminds me kind of like the difference between a pickup with rails and a pickup with pole pieces if that makes any sense.

I wondered if my ears could be deceiving me or perhaps I was hearing the difference between the cuts of wood or something, so I swapped JB's. Sure enough, the covered JB still sounded better. I'm not saying that it's much of a difference, but it's enough to notice after a while I think. It's funny because I never paid much attention to how pickup covers affect tone, but it's obvious that they have some degree of effect on the magnetic field..

OK, I once bought two Dimarzio Super Distortions off of Ebay. They were both brand new, but I could swear that one sounded better than the other. I had the same experience with two Custom Customs (I have a habit of buying everything in two's ). I didn't have another JB around to swap so I was wondering if it's possibly just the difference between pickups. So, what I did was unsolder the pickup cover and put it on the other JB to see if it would then sound better. My findings were that the nickel cover really does seem to enhance the tone.

Could this be the easiest, most subtle JB mod there is? It's so simple, put a nickel cover. So, I've got to ask. In your experience, do pickup covers enhance the tone?

Re: Can This Simple Thing Make A JB Sound Even Better?

I've been using my p'ups uncovered since... well, forever.

In 2008 I had a little chat with Rick, aka blueman335 and since I've tried the covers on my #1, eventually I got'em all covered.

In 2010 I closely worked with a Zep tribute band to fine tune their rigs, and after trying every single possible combination, after nailing Page's recorded tone in "Presence", the UOA5 modded Seth Lover set went covered, and the guitar player never looked back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm pro covered...?
    Last edited by LtKojak; 07-29-2013, 02:50 AM.

Comment

'Enhance' might be a subjective term. While SD say their covers are pretty transparent, they will have an effect on things. I think its more of a slight dampening.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Being that resistance is always inconsistent to some degree between pickups, that can be a determining factor in the sound too I'd imagine.
        http://www.lonephantom.com
        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

I never paid much attention to how pickup covers affect tone, but it's obvious that they have some degree of effect on the magnetic field.
          Apparently, they also modify the inductance, stray capacitance and Eddy currents. In my measurements, the resonant peak of the same PU covered then uncovered never looks the same. And yes, IME, "pickup covers enhance the tone" in many cases (I agree about their "looser feel" vs the "dry and stiff" character of uncovered coils).
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Here ya go

Comment

Great video. I love the sound of everything in that video; the pickups, guitar and amp. Bareknuckles are great man. Yep that's pretty much the difference I hear between the covered and uncovered JB, but as he said it applies to all pickups. I need to cover my Norton.

Comment

Maybe Keith Merrow could do an SD video of covered and open coiled pickups.......?
                DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Last time I heard a covered JB in an ESP Eclipse I thought it sucked. The covered version has a kind of texture to it, that the naked one does not. I like my JB bare and screaming. The leash of resistive loading is my preferred method of taming the beast. With the cover, I just don't like the way it barks through the muzzle, not at all. "Stiff" doesn't happen to me except in the pants. My amps don't do that.

Comment

Working...
                  X