for anyone with knowledge about gibson pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for anyone with knowledge about gibson pickups

how does the '57 classic plus compare to a JB in terms of output?
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Re: for anyone with knowledge about gibson pickups

the 57 Classic will actually be clower in terms of overall output to something like the 59. If you're looking for JB style output from a Gibson pickup, I think you'd need to look at something like the 498T, or maybe even the 500T (although I think the 500 is more akin to the Distortion in terms of output).
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

JB is gonna be way hotter than a '57 Classic. I've heard people call the JB "medium" output, but it's "high" output in my book.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I just put an '86 JB in my SG, it blows away the 500T that was in there. So much more personality. The JB just blows my mind. How can one pickup do so much?

Comment

J ust B ecause it kicks ass
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

interesting.
            i was just curious because a long time ago, i had a 57 classic in an old guitar that i had and i remember it sounding really good, but i don't remember so much how it felt. my ibanez with the JB in it has just the right amount of output for me through my rig, but the stock pickups in my SG don't seem quite as hot (even though they sound really good).

would a JB in an SG be a bad combination?

i'm kind of looking for somthing to put in my SG. i think the tone of the SG is better compared to my ibanez when they are unplugged...it has more bite and more growl to it. so i suppose i'm just looking for something that will enhance that when it's plugged in.
            gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
            '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
            mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
            marshall 1960A 4x12
            and a few pedals

Comment

Working...
            X