Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniHumbuckers

Thoughts?

Alternative to single coils in a Stratocaster?
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Re: MiniHumbuckers

There's a place on the net called 920D custom shop and they offer a prewired pickguard for a strat that has TONS of options and they have a demo video for it as well.

One thing I MUST say about 920D is stick with what they offer. If you want to change the color of the pickguard or knobs or something then you'll be safe but if you send them a request with custom wiring, it is a complete joke.

By custom, they mean they offer pre-wired pickguards that are wired standard. When faced with a truly custom job, they messed mine up a couple of times and I just ended up going to my tech to get it dialed in right.

(I can't find the video but I'm sure if you tool around a bit, it will pop up)

Good luck man, I think it is a cool idea and I know it works.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Minis will give you a much meatier sound than singles, but still have some bite. More bite and more clarity than a full sized bucker. Tonally similar in some respects to a P-90.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i like minis a lot both fb style and lp deluxe style. the fb style is more aggressive and not as warm

Comment

Warmoth does custom pickguards (unwired, of course)... minihums are an option for a Strat pickguard.
          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Minis in a strat can be great, I love the sound of them.

Comment

'Lucy Diamond?' Dumb movie, but good lord did Jordana Brewster look good!
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                'Lucy Diamond?' Dumb movie, but good lord did Jordana Brewster look good!
                Yeah man, I mean...we're not talking about a cinema master's thesis here.

I'm pretty sure the lady who directed it was Spike Lee's assistant which CLEARLY does not mean she should make movies

Jordana is just awesome though and now a big part of the new Dallas.

Okay..so...On Topic...

Did we get anywhere with this mini-humbucker thing??

I have a Gibson Customshop Firebird I that I bought in '96 at Sam Ash brand new for stupid cheap and I've always though about changing the nasal and anemic mini in the bridge but the older she gets, the more I just want to leave her in the case.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

'Lil Humbuckers are not the same as Mini Humbuckers. Yes, the 'Lil '59 is a "mini" of the full-size '59 but it is not a Mini Humbucker. Totally different construction and sound.

Comment

Actually, I wonder if anyone makes a Strat-sized pickup that aims to sound like a mini-humbucker rather than aiming to sound like a full-sized humbucker like the lil 59 does or like a single coil like the Vintage Rails & Duckbucker.

Comment

If you're looking for mini's but trying to keep the Strat flavor, Firebirds by their nature (magnets right at the strings) sound more Fendery than Deluxe style mini's.
                      Generic signature line.

Comment

I use the Everything Axe set on one of my Strats, first time I could venture into all out HB burn and metal without a full size HB but still roll down and get the classic plunky funky.
                        Dig them.
                        "Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris."

Comment

I don't see a reason to post a new thread, so maybe this is a good place to ask.

If I change the pickup in my Firebird I, does anybody thing I can get a fuller tone out of it?

It currently has the stock Firebird bridge (only) minihumbucker in it and it really limits the guitar's range for me. There was a short time when I was playing Sweet Home Alabama alot and it was good for that but even with an overdrive and/or an eq after her, she just sounds sickly and nasaly....I mean...even for a firbird humbucker...this one is VERY thin sounding.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

~LD

Comment

what pup is in it now?

Comment

"It currently has the stock Firebird bridge (only) minihumbucker in it"
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X